Where wild minds come to rest
A network of individuals seeking to advance the psychological community through our own personal journeys.
Most children daydream. Most children have imaginary friends they play out creative scenarios with. Their fantasy world is a simple, joyful distraction from their outer lives. Eventually their outer lives take root, and they grow out of it. Their playful fantasies become unnecessary as they develop more fulfilling relationships. Their fantasy dream world fades into the past as nothing but a wonderful childhood memory. Usually they forget it ever existed.
For some of us............it doesn't, and the consequences can be drastic.
For the past 30 years I've been living in an alternate reality that has completely taken over my life. Instead of fading into the past, it became my reality. The outside world faded & faded, and I've been fighting to reclaim it. Long past the point of being a joyful fantasy, it's become an addiction that I have unlimited access to. I have no self control. I can only distract myself out of it. I'm like an alcoholic with an unlimited supply of booze everywhere I go. When I do it too much I feel sick & dazed, yet I can't stop. I've stepped out into traffic & almost gotten myself killed more times than I can count. I've gotten better & am struggling to find footing in the outside world. In the meantime, I want to reach out.
This condition has a name. It's called Maladaptive Daydreaming, also known as Compulsive Fantasizing. I spent years feeling alone and scared, like I was the only one on the planet that could possibly be going through this. I felt like a freak. I was completely ashamed and scared to death anyone would find out. It's time to end that. We're not freaks. Our brains work differently. Maladaptive Daydreamers (Compulsive Fantasizers) lead unique and enriching lives. We have wondrous gifts and gut-wrenching struggles. For the good and the bad, this condition takes a lot of strength and energy to live with. I refuse to be ashamed, and I don't want anyone else to be either.
I know there are others out there who are experiencing a similar kind of condition. Hopefully they're not experiencing it to the extreme that I have. Either way, let's talk. Perhaps we can find some answers together.
This forum isn't just for Maladaptive Daydreamers (Compulsive Fantasizers). Many disorders do overlap. Feel free to discuss any that you like. Let's keep the dialog going.
One day, I hope we can all stand proud and learn to live the best of both worlds. Once we do, I'm sure we'll feel better off for having had this condition.
I see a ton of content everywhere about how bad MD is and how disruptive it is, and that’s a shame to me. I think it’s brilliant our minds are capable of keeping up with all the lore and storylines we come up with. It’s almost hard to imagine not…Continue
Does anyone else also have struggles with other obsessions maybe something that triggers or goes with your MDD? For example, i have really unhealthy eating habits and am almost addicted to sugary snacks. I eat about half a pack of biscuits a day,…Continue
Respect is like air.Because respect is like air. As long as it’s present, nobody thinks about it.But if you take it away, it’s all that people can think about.The instant people perceive disrespect in a conversation, the interaction is no longer…Continue
Thought I’d start the new year and decade with a post as I've finally decided to make a serious effort to kick my MDD addiction. So, hi everyone. I’ve lurked on this site for years on and off but never posted. Probably b/c I didn’t feel I had…Continue
Hey guys,I just wanted to start off by saying I've been a member on this site for around a couple of years now but never commented or anything like that but what I've noticed is that I feel like sometimes the site is dying and I know a few days ago…Continue
Has anybody been spiritually transforming or raised to one's higher self this fall of 2019? Has it effected your way of thinking and how you view the world around you? I feel as if my old ways are coming to an end and my perspective to life is so…Continue
Once u stop ,i never go back.After week without MD,i know ,i don't need time to prove anything,how does it feel? I feel alive,in the moment ,my body is not that perfect,neither my life but i decided to accept them the way they r ,be strong friends…Continue
You guys. When you start MDD, it will make you feel happy to live in them. Though, overtime MDD grows and you go to sleep, forgetting all about life. It effects everything, including your relationships, social life, education and career. After you…Continue
As a grown adult at 33, I fully understand the truth of my life, compared to my teens. In my youth, I was immature and didn't get out. I was no social butterfly and struggled to maintain a circle of friends. I felt as though I was missing traits,…Continue
You are disconnected from chat. Connect to join the chat.
Sign up to chat on Wild Minds Network.
1) Please be kind and respectful.
2) Please try to keep the content positive. Posting of negative content may result in it being removed and/or, in severe cases, your membership being in question. If I feel any content is questionable, I reserve the right to remove it. Please also refrain from talking about sex. This is not a porn site. Please keep all content appropriate for people of all ages.
Ex: Posting your art work is good and encouraged. Posting pics of mass murderers is unacceptable. I have removed such content and suspended members in the past for this.
3) Please read old discussions and add to them before creating a new one. A good rule of thumb for discussions vs blog posts is that if you're just sharing about yourself, that should go in a blog post. If you want to start a conversation, that should go into a discussion. Similarly, introductions should go in blog posts or be added onto previous discussions. Please avoid posting the same thing in a blog post and a discussion.
4) Please allow me to do my job. If I feel you have posted something in the wrong place, I will be respectful enough to tell you. I feel it is the right thing to do. I promise to try and be nice about it, but please don't take it the wrong way and lash out at me.
5) Please refrain from using profanity on here. I will compromise and allow profanity if you star out most of the word in question.
6) If you notice a spammer or someone who has broken one of the rules, please message me, telling me who did it and what they said. You can remain anonymous.
7) While we welcome people from around the world on here, please speak in English, so I can monitor what you say to be sure you're following the rules and so that others don't feel excluded.
Breaking the rules may result in a warning given, or if the infraction is serious enough or you've already been warned, you may be suspended.
This is an article I wrote for my writing class about MD.
Out of My Mind…Continue