Where wild minds come to rest
A network of individuals seeking to advance the psychological community through our own personal journeys.
Most children daydream. Most children have imaginary friends they play out creative scenarios with. Their fantasy world is a simple, joyful distraction from their outer lives. Eventually their outer lives take root, and they grow out of it. Their playful fantasies become unnecessary as they develop more fulfilling relationships. Their fantasy dream world fades into the past as nothing but a wonderful childhood memory. Usually they forget it ever existed.
For some of us............it doesn't, and the consequences can be drastic.
For the past 30 years I've been living in an alternate reality that has completely taken over my life. Instead of fading into the past, it became my reality. The outside world faded & faded, and I've been fighting to reclaim it. Long past the point of being a joyful fantasy, it's become an addiction that I have unlimited access to. I have no self control. I can only distract myself out of it. I'm like an alcoholic with an unlimited supply of booze everywhere I go. When I do it too much I feel sick & dazed, yet I can't stop. I've stepped out into traffic & almost gotten myself killed more times than I can count. I've gotten better & am struggling to find footing in the outside world. In the meantime, I want to reach out.
This condition has a name. It's called Maladaptive Daydreaming, also known as Compulsive Fantasizing. I spent years feeling alone and scared, like I was the only one on the planet that could possibly be going through this. I felt like a freak. I was completely ashamed and scared to death anyone would find out. It's time to end that. We're not freaks. Our brains work differently. Maladaptive Daydreamers (Compulsive Fantasizers) lead unique and enriching lives. We have wondrous gifts and gut-wrenching struggles. For the good and the bad, this condition takes a lot of strength and energy to live with. I refuse to be ashamed, and I don't want anyone else to be either.
I know there are others out there who are experiencing a similar kind of condition. Hopefully they're not experiencing it to the extreme that I have. Either way, let's talk. Perhaps we can find some answers together.
This forum isn't just for Maladaptive Daydreamers (Compulsive Fantasizers). Many disorders do overlap. Feel free to discuss any that you like. Let's keep the dialog going.
One day, I hope we can all stand proud and learn to live the best of both worlds. Once we do, I'm sure we'll feel better off for having had this condition.
i was on tumblr and i saw this post that said: "maladaptive day dreaming my ass.....Some people need to stop claiming to have this disease. Just because you can vividly imagine your characters talking to you, imagine their whole life, imagine…Continue
Do you? If you could wake up tomorrow with this gone would you want to?In all honesty, I don't want to live without it. I don't think life would be worth living without it.I'll give up everything else, my social isolation, eating disorder a thousand…Continue
When you daydream, how do you see? Like in a movie, watching everything from a distance, or through your character/your eyes just like in real life?I see everything like a movie, even if I daydream about myself, I see myself..Continue
I was wondering if MD could be a form of a dissociative disorder. My curiosity was triggered when I read this:"Dissociative symptoms range from common lapses in attention, becoming distracted by something else, and daydreaming, to pathological…Continue
I found this site when I was on yahoo answers.I was on yahoo looking desperately for a cure because I thought something was horribly wrong with me. I knew it wasn't normal for me (a 16 year old girl) to sit on my laptop and all of sudden get up…Continue
sometime random phrases just pop in my head. I also notice it's when I'm super stressed out. Like I was taking an exam and the phrase it happened came to me and I'm like huh? Or sometimes it's even more random like I'll be walking down the street…Continue
Hi, I stumbled across this website after I saw a Tumblr post about Maladaptive Daydreaming - feeling astounded and curious that the "thing" that I do has a name and, more importantly, other people seem to do too, I googled the name and found myself…Continue
From what I've read, I know that performing a compulsive action is common during daydreams. Some include pacing, tapping, or rocking back and forth. For whatever reason, mine is jumping. I'm 14, and live with my 5 other family members, and they…Continue
The MBTI was created by daughter Isabel Myers, and mother Katherine Briggs. The idea of Myers Brigs is everyone in the world fits into 16 personality types. Your personality is made up of 4 preferences. It is also made up of strengths and…Continue
Disconnected (1 online)
You are disconnected from chat. Connect to join the chat.
Sign up to chat on Wild Minds Network.
1) Please be kind and respectful.
2) Please try to keep the content positive. Posting of negative content may result in it being removed and/or, in severe cases, your membership being in question. If I feel any content is questionable, I reserve the right to remove it. Please also refrain from talking about sex. This is not a porn site. Please keep all content appropriate for people of all ages.
Ex: Posting your art work is good and encouraged. Posting pics of mass murderers is unacceptable. I have removed such content and suspended members in the past for this.
3) Please read old discussions and add to them before creating a new one. A good rule of thumb for discussions vs blog posts is that if you're just sharing about yourself, that should go in a blog post. If you want to start a conversation, that should go into a discussion. Similarly, introductions should go in blog posts or be added onto previous discussions. Please avoid posting the same thing in a blog post and a discussion.
4) Please allow me to do my job. If I feel you have posted something in the wrong place, I will be respectful enough to tell you. I feel it is the right thing to do. I promise to try and be nice about it, but please don't take it the wrong way and lash out at me.
5) Please refrain from using profanity on here. I will compromise and allow profanity if you star out most of the word in question.
6) If you notice a spammer or someone who has broken one of the rules, please message me, telling me who did it and what they said. You can remain anonymous.
7) While we welcome people from around the world on here, please speak in English, so I can monitor what you say to be sure you're following the rules and so that others don't feel excluded.
Breaking the rules may result in a warning given, or if the infraction is serious enough or you've already been warned, you may be suspended.
This is an article I wrote for my writing class about MD.
Out of My Mind…Continue