Where wild minds come to rest
A network of individuals seeking to advance the psychological community through our own personal journeys.
Most children daydream. Most children have imaginary friends they play out creative scenarios with. Their fantasy world is a simple, joyful distraction from their outer lives. Eventually their outer lives take root, and they grow out of it. Their playful fantasies become unnecessary as they develop more fulfilling relationships. Their fantasy dream world fades into the past as nothing but a wonderful childhood memory. Usually they forget it ever existed.
For some of us............it doesn't, and the consequences can be drastic.
For the past 30 years I've been living in an alternate reality that has completely taken over my life. Instead of fading into the past, it became my reality. The outside world faded & faded, and I've been fighting to reclaim it. Long past the point of being a joyful fantasy, it's become an addiction that I have unlimited access to. I have no self control. I can only distract myself out of it. I'm like an alcoholic with an unlimited supply of booze everywhere I go. When I do it too much I feel sick & dazed, yet I can't stop. I've stepped out into traffic & almost gotten myself killed more times than I can count. I've gotten better & am struggling to find footing in the outside world. In the meantime, I want to reach out.
This condition has a name. It's called Maladaptive Daydreaming, also known as Compulsive Fantasizing. I spent years feeling alone and scared, like I was the only one on the planet that could possibly be going through this. I felt like a freak. I was completely ashamed and scared to death anyone would find out. It's time to end that. We're not freaks. Our brains work differently. Maladaptive Daydreamers (Compulsive Fantasizers) lead unique and enriching lives. We have wondrous gifts and gut-wrenching struggles. For the good and the bad, this condition takes a lot of strength and energy to live with. I refuse to be ashamed, and I don't want anyone else to be either.
I know there are others out there who are experiencing a similar kind of condition. Hopefully they're not experiencing it to the extreme that I have. Either way, let's talk. Perhaps we can find some answers together.
This forum isn't just for Maladaptive Daydreamers (Compulsive Fantasizers). Many disorders do overlap. Feel free to discuss any that you like. Let's keep the dialog going.
One day, I hope we can all stand proud and learn to live the best of both worlds. Once we do, I'm sure we'll feel better off for having had this condition.
I don't see maladaptive daydreaming as a bad thing although it is a strange thing that I do. I enjoy it and do not want to get rid of it or try to be "normal". As long as it doesn't interfere with studies. I might cut down on the daydreaming but I…Continue
I know on the inside we’re constantly daydreaming, but what else describes you all? I would say I have a quick sense of humor, yet have also been diagnosed with mild depression. I am very good at creative writing but not at paperwork, and I can…Continue
I have gotten into the habit of daydreaming in my bed room, but it has turned into a bit of a problem. If I am in the living room watching a movie or show on tv that I like that triggers a daydream, I go to my room and then come back out (my…Continue
I have a character named Courtney. I originally created her to be my friend, and I had some control, but now I don't. Now she's being insanely mean and won't leave me alone. I'm trying to get rid of her but she just won't go away. How do I get her…Continue
A week before Halloween - 10/27/14. I quit...A lovely woman was coming to visit me in a few days. I had just realized how truly alone I was, and how great it felt having someone mean something to me so much...how much I'd love to be WITH someone.…Continue
Hi Guys! I'm just new here so there's still little that I know of about this condition.. Can you help me out?Before finding out about Maladaptive Daydreaming, I've always thought that there is something in me, maybe my personality and thinking, that…Continue
Rant incoming, but if it's tl;dr I bolded questions and important details and just answer those if I'm too wordy for you. :PI read about other people's experiences and I feel a bit alone because the most I hear of is pacing, mumbling, etc. while…Continue
Well daydreaming about real person is normal I think. Famous person, either they're celebrity or scientist.... Maybe it's normal too if my real friends are in my fantasy too??Around July 2011, I always dd about my class have a project to save my…Continue
What are your current main plots in daydream land?I have a few recurring daydreams at the moment: My alter ego and her wife find a lost kid, and take her in and try and find her parents. Her parents are usually either very neglectful and did not…Continue
Disconnected (2 online)
You are disconnected from chat. Connect to join the chat.
Sign up to chat on Wild Minds Network.
1) Please be kind and respectful.
2) Please try to keep the content positive. Posting of negative content may result in it being removed and/or, in severe cases, your membership being in question. If I feel any content is questionable, I reserve the right to remove it. Please also refrain from talking about sex. This is not a porn site. Please keep all content appropriate for people of all ages.
Ex: Posting your art work is good and encouraged. Posting pics of mass murderers is unacceptable. I have removed such content and suspended members in the past for this.
3) Please read old discussions and add to them before creating a new one. A good rule of thumb for discussions vs blog posts is that if you're just sharing about yourself, that should go in a blog post. If you want to start a conversation, that should go into a discussion. Similarly, introductions should go in blog posts or be added onto previous discussions. Please avoid posting the same thing in a blog post and a discussion.
4) Please allow me to do my job. If I feel you have posted something in the wrong place, I will be respectful enough to tell you. I feel it is the right thing to do. I promise to try and be nice about it, but please don't take it the wrong way and lash out at me.
5) Please refrain from using profanity on here. I will compromise and allow profanity if you star out most of the word in question.
6) If you notice a spammer or someone who has broken one of the rules, please message me, telling me who did it and what they said. You can remain anonymous.
7) While we welcome people from around the world on here, please speak in English, so I can monitor what you say to be sure you're following the rules and so that others don't feel excluded.
Breaking the rules may result in a warning given, or if the infraction is serious enough or you've already been warned, you may be suspended.
This is an article I wrote for my writing class about MD.
Out of My Mind…Continue