MD is a form of dissociative identity disorder (DID).

Dear Friends,

I have read in an online research paper that MD is nothing but a form of DID and it comes under the spectrum of obsessive compulsive disorders (OCD). In severe cases of MD where the person is under total control of MD, symptoms resembling schizophrenia might appear and doctor may even start you on schizophrenia drugs which will not help. According to research paper fluvoxamine therapy has been found effective in most severe cases of MD. Kindly share your experiences.

Thanks, Neel John

Views: 480

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is not true.  It's not DID.  I've only heard of Fluvoxamine being helpful in ONE case, certainly not most.  I don't know where you're getting your information from.  I have a severe form of MD.  I do not have DID, and Fluvoxamine did nothing for me.  

While I have not been diagnosed with DID, I have read a lot about it due to my own personal experiences. There are aspects about my past, my actions, and my personality that led me to believe I had DID before I knew what MD was. A few people that were DID diagnosed then told me that MD is something totally separate when I told them about the "role playing stuff", as I called it.

The difference is that DID switches between alters can't be controlled; dealing with this diagnosis is learning how to make the distinct identities in  your mind work together. Whereas MD was always something I knew I was doing and knew was "pretend", yet have always felt the "urge" or the "need" to do, despite being in control of it (allegedly in control haha). I have heard it is more related to OCD, but it's not an officially recognized diagnosis at any rate. Although OCD makes sense, each person's treatment will vary, if they even see a psychologist or psychiatrist who is savvy enough to treat MD.

The relevant link is http://www.academia.edu/3842011/From_adaptive_fantasy_to_dissociati...

I mentioned that Fluvoxamine has been found to be useful is cases of "most severe MD", not in most of the cases of MD. Treatment is required only in severe cases of MD where normal life of the person is disrupted due to MD. Medicine may be different for each case but, in severe cases of MD, a person behaves like a drug addict and may need medical intervention. Earlier the medical help sought, better the results are.

I have known lots of people from either group. While a lot of cross over exists, (a shrink would say comorbidity), they are not the same thing. 

 

I showed this discussion and Eli's article to Dr. Cynthia Schupak, who researched MD, and here is what she had to say:

"In this article, Eli is referencing a researcher who specializes is dissociative disorders, and thus incorporates fantasizing into his/her bias...in our study, Jayne and I took pains to rule out DID in our survey.  This may continue to be some people's view, but it is certainly not mine, nor that of the subjects in our study.  The DSM -VI that we used had only one type of DID, and that was when people lost time and 'woke up' in other places as they had been completely out of touch with reality.  All our MDers said they never were unable to virtually instantly be brought back to reality during fantasizing; so this will continue to be a point of contention.  As Jayne is now working with Eli, he may have changed his view, or perhaps is looking to add the term 'dissociative' to MD in a new way.  I don't buy it.  "

I assume she meant the DSM-IV.  She said I could quote her on this.  

Thanks for your valuable contributions, friends. Has anybody found any remedy (medicinal or otherwise) to lessen the severe attacks of MD. I keep on walking most of the day and also late into night. My sleeping as well eating has become inadequate. My family members insist that I am suffering from mania or schizophrenia. My family gave me risperidone for nearly one month mixing it in food, my MD was under control but, I feel my mind has gone numb and no thoughts are coming to my mind. I stopped eating at home and, thus not taking medicine any more. My MD has increased to alarming levels. What to do? Please help if someone out there has any ideas. 

I've posted some common tips people have suggested along the right side of the main page.  Keep trying things until you figure out what works for you.  

Neel John said:

Thanks for your valuable contributions, friends. Has anybody found any remedy (medicinal or otherwise) to lessen the severe attacks of MD. I keep on walking most of the day and also late into night. My sleeping as well eating has become inadequate. My family members insist that I am suffering from mania or schizophrenia. My family gave me risperidone for nearly one month mixing it in food, my MD was under control but, I feel my mind has gone numb and no thoughts are coming to my mind. I stopped eating at home and, thus not taking medicine any more. My MD has increased to alarming levels. What to do? Please help if someone out there has any ideas. 

OMG! My mom who is a counselor and I were just talking about this and I asked her about DID today and from what she described, there is no way this can be what MD is. I can agree with it being part of OCD but not DID.

@ Cordellia Amethyste Rose

Hi,    I believe you have created this site right?

I just read this message you wrote about common tips about what to do with MD. I see you haven't written therapy in that list.  Is there a reason for that? Do you believe therapy can help end MD?

I've ended MD over a year ago and therapy played a big role in that (you can read my story on this forum).  Also, I've read about some other people benefiting from therapy. Perhaps you can put it in that list?


 
Cordellia Amethyste Rose said:

I've posted some common tips people have suggested along the right side of the main page.  Keep trying things until you figure out what works for you.  

Neel John said:

Thanks for your valuable contributions, friends. Has anybody found any remedy (medicinal or otherwise) to lessen the severe attacks of MD. I keep on walking most of the day and also late into night. My sleeping as well eating has become inadequate. My family members insist that I am suffering from mania or schizophrenia. My family gave me risperidone for nearly one month mixing it in food, my MD was under control but, I feel my mind has gone numb and no thoughts are coming to my mind. I stopped eating at home and, thus not taking medicine any more. My MD has increased to alarming levels. What to do? Please help if someone out there has any ideas. 

There isn't enough room to write down everything that helps every person.  I add things once enough people say they've helped them.  I haven't heard of therapy helping a lot of people.  If enough people start saying that it helps them, then I will.  

Mevve said:

@ Cordellia Amethyste Rose

Hi,    I believe you have created this site right?

I just read this message you wrote about common tips about what to do with MD. I see you haven't written therapy in that list.  Is there a reason for that? Do you believe therapy can help end MD?

I've ended MD over a year ago and therapy played a big role in that (you can read my story on this forum).  Also, I've read about some other people benefiting from therapy. Perhaps you can put it in that list?


 
Cordellia Amethyste Rose said:

I've posted some common tips people have suggested along the right side of the main page.  Keep trying things until you figure out what works for you.  

Neel John said:

Thanks for your valuable contributions, friends. Has anybody found any remedy (medicinal or otherwise) to lessen the severe attacks of MD. I keep on walking most of the day and also late into night. My sleeping as well eating has become inadequate. My family members insist that I am suffering from mania or schizophrenia. My family gave me risperidone for nearly one month mixing it in food, my MD was under control but, I feel my mind has gone numb and no thoughts are coming to my mind. I stopped eating at home and, thus not taking medicine any more. My MD has increased to alarming levels. What to do? Please help if someone out there has any ideas. 

You wrote: "There isn't enough room to write down everything that helps every person."    I would understand this if I said something like throwing out my TV helped me cure MD,  but saying this about something so universally respected as using therapy to cure a disorder... I don't understand.

I understand that if therapy didn't work for you, you may have become reserved/reticent about it. But I think we all agree that MD is a disorder, and therapy is the number 1 way to treat any phycological disorder.

The tips you have in that list are all self-help. And I think it is very important for people (who come to this site for help) to know they cannot always help themselves.

I really want to ask you to put it on the list.

Actually, not everyone agrees that it's a disorder, and therapy doesn't work for everyone.  I didn't just put what worked for me.  I only listed one thing that worked for me.  You don't have to repeatedly ask me to add it.  I'm watching the site, and if/when I notice that the same thing seems to be helping a bunch of people, I'll add it.  The end.  

Mevve said:

You wrote: "There isn't enough room to write down everything that helps every person."    I would understand this if I said something like throwing out my TV helped me cure MD,  but saying this about something so universally respected as using therapy to cure a disorder... I don't understand.

I understand that if therapy didn't work for you, you may have become reserved/reticent about it. But I think we all agree that MD is a disorder, and therapy is the number 1 way to treat any phycological disorder.

The tips you have in that list are all self-help. And I think it is very important for people (who come to this site for help) to know they cannot always help themselves.

I really want to ask you to put it on the list.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Valeria Franco.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

G-S8WJHKYMQH Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky