Wild Minds Network

Where wild minds come to rest

Ok, iv had MD since my teens and I'm now 28. I can't seem to decide on a suitable career. I get bored easily. But it's occurred to me that MD could quite possibly be a gift! Not everyone has such a vivid imagination and can think like we do. Is there any kind if career out there I could pursue, that could make use of my imagination?

Nicola xxx

Views: 565

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I get bored easily too.  Something that stimulates our brain and makes us think, while giving us a few breaks every once and a while.  I like my job doing legal research for the most part, at least when it involves actual research.  I get to dig through files at the court, auditors, and other such places.  It requires abstract thinking to find things sometimes.  But most of the time our clients know exactly what they want, so it ends up being just a copy job.  Boring!  Top it off with my company being a small business, I worry about our future in this economy.  What will I do if I need to find something else?

 

You know what my dream job would be?  If I had time and money to go back to school?  A medical examiner.  I am endlessly fascinated with medical stuff, but too afraid to do surgery on a live person.  But the mystery of figuring out how someone died and maybe being able to help console their family or help law enforcement solve crimes would be awesome.  Maybe this is just a daydream too.   But I don't let it bring me down.  Instead use it for something positive, I know I am intelligent enough to do it.

 

So what I'm trying to say is a perfect career for someone with MD based on my own experiences is a job that requires you the think creatively to solve problems.  We are creative and smart.  Anything that cashes in on those attributes that doesn't bore you would be a good fit.  ;)

Hiya, thanks for the reply. Yeh I know what u mean by something creative. Research sounds fitting. Iv recently come out of a diploma in mental health nursing. I almost completed it but left at the last hurdle. I just could find the motivation to do the last placement. When I look back though, the part that I enjoyed the most was the essays! They were so challenging and although they were tedious at times, I still loved doing them! I enjoy writing and iv thought about going back to university to study English literature but it would mean student loans and I don't know if I will get bored of that too, which would be a waste of money and time. 
In the past year alone, iv developed and lost interest in biomedical science, cabin crew, army medic, criminology, writing/publishing and dietician training!! Haha!! All very different and random but my brain seems to be so overactive, I can't seem so focus on the same thing for too long!
I'm currently a carer fir disabled children which iv loved until recently. But iv had time off work due to excessive daydreaming, so I fear I may be on the verge of losing my job. It's so frustrating! I just wish I could choose something and stick to it!
For you though, I think you should definitely follow your dream and seriously think about going back to school. From my experience, our daydream are a reflection of what we really want in life but don't have the confidence to pursue it :-)

Nicola xx

Angel said:

I get bored easily too.  Something that stimulates our brain and makes us think, while giving us a few breaks every once and a while.  I like my job doing legal research for the most part, at least when it involves actual research.  I get to dig through files at the court, auditors, and other such places.  It requires abstract thinking to find things sometimes.  But most of the time our clients know exactly what they want, so it ends up being just a copy job.  Boring!  Top it off with my company being a small business, I worry about our future in this economy.  What will I do if I need to find something else?

 

You know what my dream job would be?  If I had time and money to go back to school?  A medical examiner.  I am endlessly fascinated with medical stuff, but too afraid to do surgery on a live person.  But the mystery of figuring out how someone died and maybe being able to help console their family or help law enforcement solve crimes would be awesome.  Maybe this is just a daydream too.   But I don't let it bring me down.  Instead use it for something positive, I know I am intelligent enough to do it.

 

So what I'm trying to say is a perfect career for someone with MD based on my own experiences is a job that requires you the think creatively to solve problems.  We are creative and smart.  Anything that cashes in on those attributes that doesn't bore you would be a good fit.  ;)

You could become an author?

Or you could help other authors with story ideas or something like that? Write plots for films/TV shows? Something artistic/poerty? I dunno.

I'd love that, but how would I go about accessing a job like that? :-)

Truthful Alibi said:

You could become an author?

Or you could help other authors with story ideas or something like that? Write plots for films/TV shows? Something artistic/poerty? I dunno.

For me, it's the opposite, I daydream so much I can't concentrate for too long. I need a job that doesn't require a lot of on-the-job thinking and concentration, something I can do automatically after some level of experience and training, like driving. I can daydream and drive at the same time without any problems, remarkably enough.

I have a Bachelor of Science degree, major in human physiology. The fourth year of my undergraduate degree was completely dedicated to research and I found it to be a lot of fun. I actually considered going into grad school to become a scientist, but decided not to because I know MD would affect my future performance. Once upon a time ago, I actually dreamed of becoming a doctor, but sadly because of MD, I don't think I can ever fulfilled that dream since being a doctor requires a lot of thinking and concentration on a daily basis.

I am currently doing a grad degree in radiography. This degree qualifies me to become a radiographer when I graduate; I believe you North Americans call it radiologic technologist. I think this profession is perfect for me, it's decent in terms of pay, it's within the health profession which I would love to be apart of, and it doesn't require too much intensive thinking and concentration after some level of training and experience.

before go to university I worked as web designer.. you know people who write websites.

I think it is really creative, about every month we had a new site to make. and people who need a websites don't have a precise idea of how they want it, so you have a lot of freedom in the design aspect.

Hiya thankyou for your reply. Well done, uv certainly achieved a lot academically and to be honest if you can complete all of that studying, I don't think you would have a problem with any job. 
I'm from the UK by the way lol. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Nicola xx

Feng said:
For me, it's the opposite, I daydream so much I can't concentrate for too long. I need a job that doesn't require a lot of on-the-job thinking and concentration, something I can do automatically after some level of experience and training, like driving. I can daydream and drive at the same time without any problems, remarkably enough. I have a Bachelor of Science degree, major in human physiology. The fourth year of my undergraduate degree was completely dedicated to research and I found it to be a lot of fun. I actually considered going into grad school to become a scientist, but decided not to because I know MD would affect my future performance. Once upon a time ago, I actually dreamed of becoming a doctor, but sadly because of MD, I don't think I can ever fulfilled that dream since being a doctor requires a lot of thinking and concentration on a daily basis.

I am currently doing a grad degree in radiography. This degree qualifies me to become a radiographer when I graduate; I believe you North Americans call it radiologic technologist. I think this profession is perfect for me, it's decent in terms of pay, it's within the health profession which I would love to be apart of, and it doesn't require too much intensive thinking and concentration after some level of training and experience.
Haha funnily enough daydreaming and beach bum are my two fav careers too! Lol. In all honesty I think scriptwriting would be great for you. Imagine using your daydreams! We could make fantastic movies and stories with our creations, once we've managed to get them into some kind of logical order that others could understand lol xx

EludeMyFantasies said:

My dream job would be getting paid to daydream. There are many things I would like to do but know that daydreaming keeps me from achieving them.

If daydreamer isn't available as a career I'll take beach bum as a second choice. I'd love to get paid to lay on the beach all day, relax and have a cocktail. This is ideal because I could still daydream.

Now if I wasn't a daydreamer I would love to be a script writer and movie director. Oh well~

I would say, business and arts are the most suitable jobs. In business it can be strategies development, creative agency or marketing as they all give enough burst for imagination but on the other hand they discipline you to some extend. Like when you prepare advertising campaign, you can create whatever you want but it needs to be in line with brief you receive from client. Or in marketing and strategy imagination and scenario thinking is highly appreciated (and we are good in it) but then you need to keep only financially viable options. Good thing is that to work in adveritising, strategies or marketing you don't need degree exactly in that area. In arts - it goes without saying - it's all about creativity and imagination. But again arts require a lot of discipline to produce that damn song / painting to make living :)

I'm pretty happy with my job, which is weirdly called Intergrated Business Optimization. This is a kind of strategy creation on basis of consumer research, market analysis and internal financials.

Actually i am a software developer, but i have difficult to get concentrated and i don't have a good production,

Sometimes, i think that i should work on something less complex and that don't have to get so much concentrated,

sometimes i think i should be a train conductor, so i could daydream all the time.

 

I have written around 22 career based articles the links of which are on my blog-Make your passion your profession-http://mypyp.wordpress.com.

From my experience, I can say with conviction that people with an artistic bent of mind get bored easily especially with management jobs. You can google for John Holland, a psychologist who has

worked on this a lot. Read a book called the the career guide for creative and unconventional pepople by Carol Eikleberry.

 

Many People with artistic bent of mind daydream a lot though vice- versa need not be true. They are the worst sufferers in the wrong jobs.Many of them probably daydream as they are not cut out for those jobs.

Hmmm....I can tell you the kind of jobs I think are BAD for people with MD, based on my experience as a daydreamer.

Jobs that demand speedy movements and thinking on your feet. (a busy restaurant for example)

Jobs that require you to memorize specific lines, and to lie to people (i am a terrible liar)

Jobs where you cannot talk back to your boss. (most jobs!)

Any job that requires street smarts.

 

A good job for us....

-Anything that allows us to be self-employed, creative, and innovative. With just enough structure to ensure that we have no time to slip too far into fantasy-life. Deadlines are an example of this kind of structure.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Cordellia Amethyste Rose.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky