Hi there, my daughter has maladaptive daydreaming and I'm writing a novel where a 17 year old boy has it too.

I was thinking about how to show it in the novel - so that people who don't have it can understand how compulsive it is, how it links to your 'real' life, and how to some extent it can even help people cope with certain things.

Do you ever feel as though you are stepping into another world like some sci-fi portal?

Do you pace with eyes closed or open, and do you always need some kind of motion or do you also do it on car journeys or in bed or on the sofa?

Do you replay scenes, refining them, practising a plot until you get it 'right'?

Have you created characters based on someone you vaguely know, or met once?

Do some of you daydream everyday situations or is it ALWAYS fantastical?

I was thinking of showing it as if my character lives on this island, people by characters he has created, some based on people he knows or characters from books or films.

My daughter has done it since childhood and she is now 21, and she only discovered the name for it from this website, and she was SO relieved to know there were other people like her.

If anyone wants to share their story, I promise I won't use it in my novel as I already have the plot worked out, but it would help with my background research. I don't want anyone with MDD to feel that I have misrepresented them in my story, and I am definitely not making fun of or demonising MDD in any way.  Thanks!

Views: 532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I stopped driving at 20, because I live in an area where traffic is hectic and roads are crazy in some places, and we have high speed freeways. Lots of intersections and lights. 

Also you have to be a very good driver, and avoid any jackass who want to side swipe and tailgate you. So, daydreaming isn't a very good option for most in those situations. 

I mean Penelope (referred to my first comment, I wrongfully called you Jessica)

My name is jessica. 

That's okay - I understood!

Lol, the answer was meant to the post itself since I wrongfully called Penelope with your name, I made a little mistake 😂
Answering about the daydreaming during the drive, usually happens when I'm in a highway or in a long and straight road, when I feel most comfortable; not when I'm in town and I have to stay more concentrate in order to not make car accident...

I can understand a straight ongoing road, still for me, I always think, what if there was a drunk or doped speeder? That could've even happened in the quietude of woodland trails, or a bad land. You're lucky you know how and when to control your mind while driving. I just couldn't do that, but we aren't the same people. Mom parents forbade me to drive altogether.

Mmm... Have you tried to do some practice with a friend of yours or in car driving school? I'm sure it could help you; try to ask it to your father...

I can't...I'll never drive. It's a long story. My daydream come so erratically and strongly out of nowhere. It's just too risky. 

I got you're afraid but here's the thing: if you don't try you'll never know.. usually thing that require an high amount of concentration so you don't screw things up are a good way to curb daydreaming for a little wile...

Thanks to everyone who has commented. It helps me to understand the MD community and to make sure I have not misrepresented you in my book, which is mostly based on how my daughter experiences MD, and some research I have done. It feels so much more authentic to hear these things from your replies, and to feel confident that my book conveys what MD is like for many many people.

Anyone who would like to read my book 'Outlandish' (after signing an NDA) and give comments or feedback, please email me : pennylapenna@gmail.com  WARNING: there is a scene of self-harm, and some depictions of anxiety.

I'm so afraid my so-called "MD thing" will be exposed to others by accident. I happen to have Aspergers, and it's not a great mix. You should've seen the way people have looked at me. Almost like I'm from outer space, if not bonkers. It hurts and makes me sick every time. It makes me feel like they don't find me quite human. I am human, I'm just have a unique gift that's misapprehended by the society norm. My other problem is that I'm somewhat disabled when it comes to social interaction and work performance. So I draw all sorts of unwanted attention and give people ideas about me. I've made a lot of people pretty mad. They might just notice that I'm living in a world someplace else, especially when I start smiling, make faces, talk to air, and don't listen. I've faced people strongly react on me to a degree I can still remember the incident, even if it was years ago. I think they didn't know what to make of me, and thought I was being too weird for words. But anyway, the very thought makes me cringe. 

I have met very nice, great people, who don't judge, and still smile at me, so we'll talk, that's great. I wish that I could meet more people like this. I've just never met many. So my social life is thin. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Valeria Franco.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

G-S8WJHKYMQH Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky