Significance In Our Random Nonsense: What do your daydreams mean?

Why do we dream what we dream? If we could look deeper into our own fantasy world, we would find out so much about ourselves.

Our little places of escape tell us who we really are and who we desire to be.

They tell us where we are in our lives.

Where we could be.

The senarios that we play over and over and over could be a manifestation of our brains trying to tell us something very important.

What is your fantasy telling you? What do you believe that your daydreams mean? Why is it US that have this over-excessive ability to imagine? What's the significance?

 


Views: 363

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think this is a very good question.  My fantasy world has taught me a lot of things that may be my way out.  

 

Most people seem to become Maladaptive Daydreamers for one or both of two reasons:  extreme creativity and a need to escape.  Some were in an abusive situation, so they built a safe place to escape.  Others are just so creative that they got inspired one day and then couldn't stop.  I'm both.  My fantasy world is full of characters who were both creative and loving.  They gave me all the safety and nurturing that they could.  It helped me survive.  As I grew older, my character became the center of a huge world of characters.  At first I felt like a narcissist, but then I realized that it means I want to be a leader.  I don't fit in being a follower.  I have to find a way to be an advocate and take care of people in my life.  I also need a creative outlet and to be constantly inspired.  

 

That's really interesting! So do you think if you try your best to become a leader in real life that you won't need your fantasies anymore?

Cordellia Amethyste Rose said:

I think this is a very good question.  My fantasy world has taught me a lot of things that may be my way out.  

 

Most people seem to become Maladaptive Daydreamers for one or both of two reasons:  extreme creativity and a need to escape.  Some were in an abusive situation, so they built a safe place to escape.  Others are just so creative that they got inspired one day and then couldn't stop.  I'm both.  My fantasy world is full of characters who were both creative and loving.  They gave me all the safety and nurturing that they could.  It helped me survive.  As I grew older, my character became the center of a huge world of characters.  At first I felt like a narcissist, but then I realized that it means I want to be a leader.  I don't fit in being a follower.  I have to find a way to be an advocate and take care of people in my life.  I also need a creative outlet and to be constantly inspired.  

 

Well, I think the only way to make them not necessary is to make my outer life more fulfilling and inspiring.  I think the clues to what inspire me are in my daydreams.  What makes me feel so empowered in them are probably what I need to feel empowered in my outer life.  So......yeah.  I think if I can become a leader and an advocate that will keep me inspired and busy.  I'll spend more & more time engaging in the outer world & having less time for my inner world.  Eventually, I think it will fade.  

Creator said:

That's really interesting! So do you think if you try your best to become a leader in real life that you won't need your fantasies anymore?

Cordellia Amethyste Rose said:

I think this is a very good question.  My fantasy world has taught me a lot of things that may be my way out.  

 

Most people seem to become Maladaptive Daydreamers for one or both of two reasons:  extreme creativity and a need to escape.  Some were in an abusive situation, so they built a safe place to escape.  Others are just so creative that they got inspired one day and then couldn't stop.  I'm both.  My fantasy world is full of characters who were both creative and loving.  They gave me all the safety and nurturing that they could.  It helped me survive.  As I grew older, my character became the center of a huge world of characters.  At first I felt like a narcissist, but then I realized that it means I want to be a leader.  I don't fit in being a follower.  I have to find a way to be an advocate and take care of people in my life.  I also need a creative outlet and to be constantly inspired.  

 

I've always been a daydreamer, because for some reason my mind has never been content with reality. Later in life, I began to make many friends, but none of them really respected me. Nobody really does, so my daydreams consist of me living in worlds where I actually matter and people respect me for who I am and what I do.

Sure I play the hero in my daydreams, but people in my daydreams call me their best friend and think I'm intelligent. Imagine that..

So do you hope to become respected and liked in the real world? Do you think that if you make this happen that you won't need to dream anymore? Or would you rather just stay in your dream world where it's easier?


Personally, I have the same issue. Sure I have friends, but none of them really respect me or appreciate me either. And I definitely play the Heroine all the time. I think that even  if I do become respected, I'll still find something else to dream about. Though I would much rather enjoy the beautiful realities of the real world, I find that I just can't.
Drake said:

I've always been a daydreamer, because for some reason my mind has never been content with reality. Later in life, I began to make many friends, but none of them really respected me. Nobody really does, so my daydreams consist of me living in worlds where I actually matter and people respect me for who I am and what I do.

Sure I play the hero in my daydreams, but people in my daydreams call me their best friend and think I'm intelligent. Imagine that..

I suppose I do have a desire to be liked and admired by everyone. But I also have an extremely low tolerance for reality and an extremely high love of scifi and fantasy. Bad combination, because I always slip off to these fantasy worlds

I have no idea what my DDs mean - I think it's because I was bullied, then I decided to make a fantasy world, then I never broke the habit.

Thinking about it now, my character is probably a symbol of what I want to be in real life, but don't have the courage or the motivation to be.  Or because I'm not actually ABLE to be it, I think I'm experimenting with what my life might have been like.

For example, I'm very rebellious in my DDs, and even enjoy arguing back at teachers/social workers/anyone who my mind happens to decide for me to rebel against, whereas in real life I hate even being told off by teachers (and I don't have social workers in real life) so that could be a reason why. Plus (that seems to have become my new sentence starting word instead of 'also') my DDs are really fun, especially when I snog show love to my (imaginary) boyfriend, and act like I'm 5  run around and annoy adults and Jasmine (a girl who I annoy in my DDs). Lol.

Sorry, I just realised I'm bumping this thread since the last reply was in 2010!

I have tried to figure out what they may be telling me. The strange thing is that I seem to be a contradiction in the DD. I mean at the start I am confident, strong, take care of myself kind of person but by the end of the "movie" I am vunerable and needing to be rescued. How can you be the heroine and damsel in destress at the same time? Maybe it has something to do with the personna I try to put out to the world and the real me inside is weaker.

I struggle with very low self-esteem, and in my daydreams I'm charismatic, beautiful, intelligent......traits I feel I lack in reality. In my dreams I'm often a youtube vlogger or a model who is admired by everyone.

When I was younger my father died. So now Most of my day dreams revolve around father like figures. But I have tons a great friends, and my soical life's fine, & so is my self esteem. So thats probaly the only reason i day dream? But I also day dreamed before he died to? I guess i was just really creative and when my dad died it kinda enhanced it.

The meaning of my dd are obvious to me. I am almost reparenting myself in them. Obvious direct correlation to what I was missing growing up.
This is the case with a lot of  people here... including myself... but recently, I've started loving myself for who I am... and it's wierd, but now in my daydreams, I no longer picture myself different than how I actually am. And I think that's the beginning of the process of quitting dding. But you should definitely realize that you are a lot more than who you think you are, and who you think you should be. You are good enough to daydream about. 

Paris said:
I struggle with very low self-esteem, and in my daydreams I'm charismatic, beautiful, intelligent......traits I feel I lack in reality. In my dreams I'm often a youtube vlogger or a model who is admired by everyone.

RSS

© 2022   Created by Valeria Franco.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

G-S8WJHKYMQH Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky