A must see movie for MDDers: The King Of Comedy (1983)

From Wikipedia:

The King of Comedy is a 1983 American dark comedy film starring Robert De Niro and Jerry Lewis, and directed by Martin Scorsese. The subject of the movie is celebrity worship and the American media culture. It was released on February 18, 1983 in the United States by 20th Century Fox.

Rupert Pupkin (De Niro), a stage-door autograph hound, is an aspiring stand-up comic whose ambition far exceeds his paltry talent. After meeting Jerry Langford (Lewis), a famous comedian and talk show host, Rupert believes his "big break" has finally come. He attempts to get a place on the show, but is continually rebuffed by Langford's staff and, finally, by Langford himself. Along the way, Rupert indulges in elaborate and obsessive fantasies where he and Langford are colleagues and friends. He even takes a date, Rita, to Langford's home, uninvited, trying to impress her. When the straight approach does not work, Rupert hatches a kidnapping plot with the help of Masha (Sandra Bernhard)

-----------------------------------------------------

I just love this movie. Have seen it many, many times over the years. Very entertaining (though its not everybody's cup of tea admittedly). It just came to me that Rupert in this movie engages in adaptive daydreaming. (Though he does indeed takes things quite a few steps too far).

I thought I'd mention this movie here and get other peoples input. If you haven't seen it, its available on dvd. Or can be downloaded from various places on the internet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085794/

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haven't seen it, but when I finally get a new computer (mine's died, I think it's the graphics card. On mum's laptop, btw) I'll probably download it, if I remember. Big if.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Valeria Franco.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

G-S8WJHKYMQH Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky