I've always been afraid to go to therapist about anything, mainly because I'm in high school and all the kids seem to make fun of anyone who goes to therapy.

Anyway, have any of y'all gone to therapy or talked to a professional about your MD? Do they know what it is and what did they say to you about it?

I'm dying to tell someone, but I'm scared to talk to the people close to me (family, friends, etc.) because I'm afraid they'll think I was crazy. Now I'm scared to talk to a therapist or someone because I feel like since this is a relatively unknown disorder, they may not be able to help or won't make me feel any better about my dreaming.

So, just wondering if any of you have talked to someone and what they have said? :]

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been going to therapy since I was in middle school. It's the highlight of my week. My therapist is very open to the idea of new conditions, such as MD. She and I have tried to come up with strategies to lessen my daydreaming (it hasn't quite worked, but that is just because I'm rather reluctant to let go of my DD). 

It can be quite confronting and uncomfortable to talk about. I am actually working with my Christian Counsellor at the moment. And sharing small bits at a time about what exactly I DD about. I'm thinking it is quite revealing about who I am and where I am in life. My counsellor is quite open to discuss it with me because it's such an important part of my life. She said that the character I play in my DD's needs to be listened to. Hope this may help a little...

I think it is likely that your therapist doesn't know anything about MD, but you could bring some articles (see Links page on this website). That way your therapist has some idea of what it is and help you better.

I don't know if this is common in other countries, but in the Netherlands you can switch therapists if there's no connection between you and her/him. If this is at all possible, I would advise to do so until you find someone that you feel comfortable with. Don't think 'therapy isn't for me' based on experience with only one therapist!

And if anyone makes fun of you for going to a therapist, they're probably afraid to go themselves. Everybody has something they worry about, so I guess, try not to pay attention to them too much (or maybe don't tell them?).

RSS

© 2024   Created by Valeria Franco.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

G-S8WJHKYMQH Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky