The Schizoid Personality Disorder is not to be confused with Schizophrenic behavior but shows sign of extreme introversion, emotional detachment and a secluded lifestyle in which a rich fantasy life could take over. SPD's seem to have little interest in people but most SPD's do long for attachment when looking closer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoid_personality_disorder

I was going to list them but I identify with pretty much all of the described clinical Features of Schizoid Personality Disorder, except asexuality. But plenty of SPD's are sexual. There is no "cure" and little is known about treatments Most SPD's don't seek out help because of their huge independence. Same here but I felt like sharing.

For instance what I recognize in SPD is the apathy that I have felt at times, not feeling motivated to socially interact for a long time, particularly in the past. But I think it was really about (not) seeing the options I had, socially. I always hated going out and particularly when you're younger there is really not much of an alternative unless you're already really good friends with some one, which was not the case in my puberty. Now, fortunately I have found more alternatives like activity sites but back when I was adolescent the internet was much smaller and slower. Also, not feeling much most of the time as I am in my head too much, thinking. Fantasies can trigger emotions though.

I'm trying to learn new things because I want to become more self concsious. I am trying to make sense of myself in this enormous landscape of labels, in an attempt to identify what I can do and what I will never be able to do, my limits. 

A lot of things that I have read about SPD hit close to the mark. The closest was the INTP type in Myers-Briggs test. Almost as close was reading about ADD, Attention Deficit Disorder. In High Sensitivity I also recognized quite a bit. As for MDD, I have all the traits but not to the same extent (the extent needed to qualify is often unclear), I am honestly a "light" case IMO when reading experiences of other MDD's.

I am curious, do you recognize SPD traits and which (or if that saves time, which don't you recognize)? This could help shed some light, perhaps pointing out extremities or traits I don't recognize.

Thank you!

Views: 214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Be careful when reading about things like this because they can be heavily misleading. Many introverts can seemingly identify with traits listed there but real SPD is a serious disorder and a pretty extreme one at that. For instance, dysthymia/persistent depressive disorder can give you almost identical symptoms to those mentioned in your wiki link yet it's completely different from a real schizoid disorder. Schizoid apathy is entirely different from apathy stemming from depressive or dysthymic disorders. Unfortunately, majority of internet articles talk about these disorders in such a way that symptoms appear really common yet in practice they are far more rare, extreme and complex.

Thank you! The information is incomplete in not specifying to what extent the traits have to be shown and this is a problem.

Eretaia said:

Be careful when reading about things like this because they can be heavily misleading. Many introverts can seemingly identify with traits listed there but real SPD is a serious disorder and a pretty extreme one at that. For instance, dysthymia/persistent depressive disorder can give you almost identical symptoms to those mentioned in your wiki link yet it's completely different from a real schizoid disorder. Schizoid apathy is entirely different from apathy stemming from depressive or dysthymic disorders. Unfortunately, majority of internet articles talk about these disorders in such a way that symptoms appear really common yet in practice they are far more rare, extreme and complex.

I have borderline personality disorder but know about SPD. ask your doctor for a referral to be diagnosed. You're right, SPD isn't diagnosed a lot because those people aren't technically hurting anyone

RSS

© 2024   Created by Valeria Franco.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

G-S8WJHKYMQH Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky