My family and I have known for years that I had a problem with daydreaming. My mom would always caught me making funny faces or pacing or scratching my arm whenever I was "in the zone." The day I found out about MD and that I had it was a low blow for me, but at the same time, I was happy that I finally got closure. When I told my mom, she got upset and said that I shouldn't tell myself I have a mental disorder because what i can make myself mentally ill or that maybe I have something else. She also said that I need a professional to tell me that. After good research and this website, it's no brainer that I do have it, but she doesn't want to believe it. She either denies it or avoid the subject all together. What should I do? Has anyone gone through this when they told someone they had MD? Please comment below!

Views: 166

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As far as the advice that you need to see someone, and that you can't diagnose yourself, I think it holds. It's not fun because she is dismissing your experience and doesn't seem to believe you, but that could be a way for you to get help, if you want to. Tell her you are having problems and ask if you can see someone.

The problem with being diagnosed is that many psychiatrists and therapist do not even know or recognize MD yet. I know for a fact I have MD and my therapist just told me I didn't have enough hobbies, so some therapists are not the best at diagnosing people. You know yourself best, that is not to say that everyone should go diagnosing themselves with mental disorders because they have some symptoms, in most cases a doctor an accurately diagnose but since MD is not well known you might not get the answer you want.

Unfortunately a lot of people are ignorant when it comes to mental disorders and don't realize that if someone is not showing extreme side effects then there is nothing wrong with them and they are just being dramatic.  As someone who has been diagnosed with a lot of things, the diagnosis is not the most important thing, yes it is important but at the end of the day it is just a label. The work and effort afterwards to make yourself "better" is what really matters. It sounds to me like your mother needs to do some more research in general into MD and mental illnesses, so she gets a better understanding of these things.

S.D. said:

The problem with being diagnosed is that many psychiatrists and therapist do not even know or recognize MD yet. I know for a fact I have MD and my therapist just told me I didn't have enough hobbies, so some therapists are not the best at diagnosing people. You know yourself best, that is not to say that everyone should go diagnosing themselves with mental disorders because they have some symptoms, in most cases a doctor an accurately diagnose but since MD is not well known you might not get the answer you want.

Unfortunately a lot of people are ignorant when it comes to mental disorders and don't realize that if someone is not showing extreme side effects then there is nothing wrong with them and they are just being dramatic.  As someone who has been diagnosed with a lot of things, the diagnosis is not the most important thing, yes it is important but at the end of the day it is just a label. The work and effort afterwards to make yourself "better" is what really matters. It sounds to me like your mother needs to do some more research in general into MD and mental illnesses, so she gets a better understanding of these things.

when I told my mom, she didn't want to listen or believe it. she thought I had schizophrenia or some delusional disorder. I guess it's really hard to understand what it's like if you don't have it yourself. what you could do is just try to reason with her more and imply that it's not all bad.

S.D. made a good point by saying "The problem with being diagnosed is that many psychiatrists and therapist do not even know or recognize MD yet." Whether you have it or not is something you should decide for yourself and your mom not wanting for that to be true could just be because she is scared. Maybe she just wants for you to be healthy, but I don't know your mom so I can't tell you what the exact reason is. Just try to find a time where you both are free and can have a long private talk about it where you tell her about it and explain what it's like to her. Tell her why you think you have MD and ask her why she avoids the topic and denies what you have, since she can't look inside your brain. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Valeria Franco.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

G-S8WJHKYMQH Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky