Movies, Bands, Art, Writing, and a Lack of Purpose

I've always fantasized about things like TV shows, movies, and band members ever since I was a little girl. When I was six, it was simple things like Disney Princess movies, Power Rangers, Backstreet Boys, and Karate movies. However, it slowly has progressed over the years to include things such as rock bands (it depends on which one is my favorite or "new obsession" at the time), Lord of the Rings (or other trilogy-type movies), and certain tv shows. I'm almost 21, I shouldn't be fantasizing about journeying across Middle-Earth with the nine,  or going to Hogwarts, or traveling with a certain band! In my mind, logically, it's utterly ridiculous; however, as an artist I find it very exciting and fantastic.

Ever since I was a little girl, I've always wrote in diaries, read books WAY beyond what "normal" kids read (I was in 8th grade reading college level books), drawing and painting, and dancing. I've always had a infinite love for music and adventure so any way or outlet I could express myself in those areas was a complete dream-come-true for me. I'm fairly well rounded as an individual; the only thing I'd say I'm "immature" at is normal things such as paying bills, I got a job at 18 instead of 16 like everyone else, and the same goes for driving. My parents have always sheltered me from the world in an attempt to keep me young at heart and innocent and I thank them for it since it makes my life a bit easier and more carefree. I have friends and aquantances, and I go to college. All in all, I feel very normal. Except with this condition.

I don't even want to call it a condition, however, because I don't really see it as a curse or disease--just something that is a bit unique and silly in nature. I don't want to tell anyone about it least they put me on some crap medication that either suppresses any emotions I have OR make me so out of my mind and sick that I feel awful all of the time. I told my mom about it and showed her my research on the "gift" and she thought I was just being paranoid about "nothing." Then when I told her I was dead serious, she looked at me funny and said that I must then be crazy--and she meant in the insane way. Then she stated that I might have ADD (umm...I've researched it and definitely DO NOT have it--she has no idea what she's talking about). Needless to say I haven't brought the subject up again and probably never will unless I write about it in a book.

I will admit the only time this "gift" becomes a problem is when my little sister wants to play and I just want to "go in my room" to daydream. Or when my mom/dad tell me to do something and I forget or spend that time daydreaming. I can literally spend hours in my room pacing, listening to music, and "traveling."

I think the main reason why do this is because I love to travel, I love music, I love romance, adventure, fantasy, and excitement. I just don't get that stuff in real life though.lways wanted to work on movie sets (though doing what, I don't know), and traveling, or meeting new people.  However, because I don't know what I want to do in life, I can't really focus on one "purpose" and head toward it. I'm good at a lot of different things and enjoy variety--so I would need a job that is as flexible as I am in my desires. It's not that I can't commit to one thing or am irresponsible--I just don't want to be stuck doing only one of my many talents and desires. I'm not trying to brag or complain, I just want to know if anyone has any suggestions or can relate to what I'm saying.

So question recap:

1.) Do any of you only fantasize about movies, shows, or bands? Or do things with these people/characters WITHOUT making up a new identity for yourself (as in I'm still me-not some other identity/personality-when I'm fantasizing).

2.) Do you ever fantasize about falling in love with these people? (And, no, I don't mean lusting/obsession/sexual fantasies).

3.) Do you feel like you have no purpose in life or can't seem to quite figure out what you want to do/go?

4.) If you are an artist, actor(ess), dancer, writer, or work in movies/plays, do you find this to be a hinderence or a fantastic and wonderful gift?

5.) If so (referring to the above question), how do you use it to your advantage, expand it to suit you and your career/hobbies, and control it? Do you have any other suggestions for me as an artist in many different areas who needs help finding what makes her tick and flourish? Any job advice?

Anything you can give me or relate to will be much appreciated!

Sorry that post was so long--I guess I was just excited to actually truly "speak" about this subject and get answers.

Thank you!

Views: 190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1) Yep, I fantasize all the time about those things (especially movies though).  I never make up a new identity for myself, although I do things in these fantasies I couldn't possibly do in real life. 

2) Oh yeah, definitely! 

3)  Oh yes... This is the worst thing about daydreaming for me personally!

4) Em, I don't use it to my advantage...yet. Perhaps I will. I'm going to study English Literature and it may help for creative writing but I'm actually trying to stop daydreaming so I don't think I'll encourage myself using this "gift" to my advantage.

1) All the time. I might make slight changes to myself to make me fit the fantasy, but I am always me.
2) Yes. All my daydreams have a love interest. Most of the time they are fictional characters from shows, movies or books, but occasionally they have been real people.
3) I have absolutely no purpose. I just have no motivation, unless it's to add to my daydreams, the current obsession.
4) Not really creative in a practical way, just tend to spend free time watching tv or reading. Fuel for the dreams.

1.)  While I retain a lot of who I am, I do make some changes.  Some are slight physical tweaks (longer hair, leaner frame), while others are things like I can sing in my daydreams, but in reality can't carry a tune in a bucket.

2.)  Absolutely!

3.)  I think I have a purpose, I just wish for something greater.

4.)  I'm not an especially creative person.

1.) Do any of you only fantasize about movies, shows, or bands? Or do things with these people/characters WITHOUT making up a new identity for yourself (as in I'm still me-not some other identity/personality-when I'm fantasizing).

Not often, but i will every now and then. I use to "be in bands" a lot more frequently before i really new how to create my own actual story line. But lately, it would be rare for me to use a movie,show,or band as a major part of my daydreams. but i was always prettier and more confident in my daydreams no matter what. 

2.) Do you ever fantasize about falling in love with these people? (And, no, I don't mean lusting/obsession/sexual fantasies).

there hasnt been a single daydream where i havent fallen in love with someone. whether its for one scene or the entire DD somebody is always there. it use to always be my character james ( deep lovingly sigh <3) but now im kinda onto a new character Shane (heart melts..) i guess im just a very lonely person subconsiously, because i always enjoy being alone.

3.) Do you feel like you have no purpose in life or can't seem to quite figure out what you want to do/go?

Coincidentally, i was JUST thinking about this no more than 5 minutes ago.. Im 15 but i cant help but feel worthless a good amount of the time. Like all my dreams of becoming someone important are only just silly fantasies.

4.) If you are an artist, actor(ess), dancer, writer, or work in movies/plays, do you find this to be a hinderence or a fantastic and wonderful gift?

i have a deep passion for all those things youve mentioned above and i feel MD is way more of a wonderful gift than any sort of hinderence. Though, every once in a while, thoughts like "i wish i were normal" or " i wish i never had MD" pop into my mind. but it truly has helped me get through a lot over the years..

5.) If so (referring to the above question), how do you use it to your advantage, expand it to suit you and your career/hobbies, and control it? Do you have any other suggestions for me as an artist in many different areas who needs help finding what makes her tick and flourish? Any job advice?

well im not sure if this is what youre asking for but my one true dream is to become a designer of some sort. So in all my daydreams i come up with a huge glamourous house with as every bit of detail i can handle, and every character has a new outfit every time i see them. So for you, i guess incorporate your hobbies into your daydreams. sorry for so rambling u dont have to read it all lol...

1.Yes, all the time.

3.yea

4.I'm an artist and a lyricist and i love to make movies and write stories and poems.

5.Daydreaming helps me be a lyricist better because i can imagine a situation and write from it like i'm telling a story.

1. I fantasize about all the things you mentioned except I do make up a new identity for me.

2. Sometimes

3. Always

4.Im not really creative just when it comes to daydreaming

1) All I ever DD about!! Except that I don't put myself in to those types of DDs, I usually make up another character that's not me, but what I think would make the show better.

2) No

3) Well, I've never felt "useless" in life, but I have been confused about what I want to do. I'm going to college in a few days and I'm majoring in Respiratory Care. I really want to do something in Medical Care because my father had a lot of ailments as I was growing up, and I want to help others.

4) I'm not, but I imagine that all ideas were thought up through daydreaming/dreaming. I read about an interview with John Lennon that stated that he would constantly space out and daydream because it was "part of the creative process".

RSS

© 2024   Created by Valeria Franco.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

G-S8WJHKYMQH Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky