If MD Was Accepted Would You Be Ashamed/Proud Of It?

I have been feeling really low this week  so my MD has increased. Which is how I got caught yesterday. I was sitting in the livingroom with my brother having a moment when he said, "Stop talking to yourself." I felt quite ashamed at being caught and upset that I had driffted off so effortlessly into dreamworld, without noticing.  So I got up and began tidying the house. He called me back when I had finished and asked me what the problem was.  So I told him about MD, how it was a problem for me.  That the neighbours had caught me and had spread the rumor that I am" mad." How people were avoiding me because of it and how it had taken over all of my life.

My brother told me that he MDed all the time even at work, when driving and when people commented on it. He would quite proudly tell them that he was talking to himself.  He then told me not to be ashamed of it as there was nothing wrong with it.

So am I looking at this the wrong way?  Should I just go with the flow and will accepting it free me in a way. 

My brother is very succssfull, he has many friends and he is fearless.  I am the exact opposite. So my questions are

-Am I looking at MD in the incorrect way. Which is that it is a condition which needs to be controlled and stopped pernamently?

-If MD was widely acceptable, would any of us see it as a problem?  It's not like schizprenia, we know what we are dreaming about isn't real.

Views: 260

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's very nice that people turn to you and openly admit that they too talk to themselves. I don't think I would have the guts to do that if I was caught.  Thank you for commenting by the way.

Lisa p said:

I've been caught and I look at the people and joke...oops u caught me..yup I'm crazy haha.  Usually people say "I talk to myself as well" and smile.  Sometimes the best offense is a good defense:-).  I don't tell them about the MD but I try to lighten the situation a bit.  Humor is my defense mechanism in life.  I've been debating whether to tell a family member about the MD but I'm not sure yet....bravo to you...that's a big deal in my opinion.  

Thank you for commenting. I hope that when more is learned about MD that people will be more understanding like some of the people you have met, the only person I have met like that is my brother.  I did attempt to tell me partner about it by using a fictional person as an example and he basicly said that they should be commited.  Since then apart from here and recenly my brother, I talk about it to nobody.

Cordellia Amethyste Rose said:

I see it as both a gift and a curse.  It's neither good nor bad.  When I agreed to be the "poster child" for this condition, I stopped hiding it from anyone.  I'm not a very social person, so I don't know many people, but I told everyone I met, and the response was overwhelmingly positive.  My docs were skeptical at best, but because I wasn't seeing them for that, I didn't care.  People at school were amazed and could all relate.  My professors thought many writers must have had it.  I wouldn't be ashamed of it.  

Perhaps you should mention that real doctors have studied it and believe in it, that respected publications have written about it, and that there are thousands of people talking about it online.  

Tinkerbell said:

Thank you for commenting. I hope that when more is learned about MD that people will be more understanding like some of the people you have met, the only person I have met like that is my brother.  I did attempt to tell me partner about it by using a fictional person as an example and he basicly said that they should be commited.  Since then apart from here and recenly my brother, I talk about it to nobody.

I see it as both a gift and a curse.  It's neither good nor bad.  When I agreed to be the "poster child" for this condition, I stopped hiding it from anyone.  I'm not a very social person, so I don't know many people, but I told everyone I met, and the response was overwhelmingly positive.  My docs were skeptical at best, but because I wasn't seeing them for that, I didn't care.  People at school were amazed and could all relate.  My professors thought many writers must have had it.  I wouldn't be ashamed of it.  

Unfortunatly I don't think that that would make a differnce to him.  he can be quite stuck in his ways but it makes me worry that if I have a bad episode with him that he would have me commited.

Perhaps you should mention that real doctors have studied it and believe in it, that respected publications have written about it, and that there are thousands of people talking about it online.  

Tinkerbell said:

Are you sure this is the kind of person you want to be with?  I wouldn't.  I'm sure he can't have you committed just for daydreaming.  Everyone daydreams.  

Tinkerbell said:

Unfortunatly I don't think that that would make a differnce to him.  he can be quite stuck in his ways but it makes me worry that if I have a bad episode with him that he would have me commited.

Tinkerbell said:

I believe you are from England?  And I think their commitment laws are similar to US's.  You have to prove dangerousness.  But I think the larger point is what Cordellia mentioned.  This is terrible for your self-esteem & your own personal journey to be with someone who discounts you out of hand like that.  You might try educating him by showing him some of the very professional work done.  But it doesn't sound like you want to tell him this is about you - or that he would listen anyway.  You sound bright, compassionate, interesting.  Is he worth it?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Valeria Franco.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

G-S8WJHKYMQH Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky