How far have you gone to bring your fantasies into reality?

Usually the point of our daydreaming is to take us away from the pain/boredom of every life. I was just wondering if many of you did the opposite, like try to bring their identity to fit in a real-world setting. For example, I've made characters that are professional athletes, singers, movie stars, etc. For athletes, I'd play a sports video game and make statistical profiles for them, but also add biographical information for them like where they are from, what college they might have attended. For actors I'd make an IMDB profile of sorts and have similar info. If I had characters that looked like someone famous, I'd even try to photoshop different clothes on them to give them a complete profile and photo set. 

I also have a friend who is an artist. Through messageboards and her own site she gets commissioned to illustrate comics. Sometimes a customer will write the story and she will illustrate it. Other times they'll give her a summary along with character profiles. Sometimes these are of a sexual nature, but sometimes they are not. She also does comics inspired by various animaes and mangas. The most amazing part of my friend's online shop is that she makes a few thousand dollars a month doing this...so there are plenty of dreamers out there (although some of it caters to people's fetishes as well and I think people with MD have dreams that are much more expansive than that). I also realize the distinction between fan fiction versus our own, highly-customized dreams, since fan fiction can be a a very social activity that draws you into an entire community while I felt isolated by my MD.

I apologize if this is weird to anyone. Just wondering if anyone has gone to such lengths to bring their dreams/characters to life. 

Views: 253

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You ask the most interesting questions.  I guess because I've never talked with anyone who does this. I think Technology makes it easy to bring more reality to daydreams.  I have a photo album with my clothes, colleagues, houses, art collection.  I don't have a photo of my current husband although his first and last name keep changing.  I've printed out technical papers about subjects I don't understand because in my other life I am a scientist - and a great singer - so my ipod has lots of songs in my style.  I just realized how difficult it is to use possessives in relaying this.  'my' means what - my real life or my other life. Weird.

I know it is addictive but I feel like I have it under control. Maybe.

I have the same problem with 'my'. :) I was interested in your scientist persona, because I have a similar daydreams where I am a psychiatrist. I understand it, however, because I am very into Psychology etc. In my daydreams, i work with criminals and they're all very interesting, though some can be infuriating at times if I'm not carefull and let them get under my skin. It's a delicate job, but I love it and hope to work in the actual field someday, only as a Psychologist. (Hate Chemistry and math, so no Med School for now. No go on the Psychiatrist thing.) Anyway, I was interested in the 'subjects I don't understand part'. My question is, is the scientist another version of you (like how the doctor is an older version of my daydream self) or is she simply another character"? Not all my daydreams center around 'me', so I can understand both situations. Talk to you soon!

Pseudo Life said:

You ask the most interesting questions.  I guess because I've never talked with anyone who does this. I think Technology makes it easy to bring more reality to daydreams.  I have a photo album with my clothes, colleagues, houses, art collection.  I don't have a photo of my current husband although his first and last name keep changing.  I've printed out technical papers about subjects I don't understand because in my other life I am a scientist - and a great singer - so my ipod has lots of songs in my style.  I just realized how difficult it is to use possessives in relaying this.  'my' means what - my real life or my other life. Weird.

Well, many, many years ago I wanted to be a scientist.  But I'm now retired. (which gives you some idea of my age).  I currently live a very active life doing volunteer work, serving on boards,  publishing a nonprofit newsletter, etc.  

So my person is what I wish I could have been.  And in my daydreams, I am the 'I'  interacting with all. For a while "I" was a professor of linguistics but now it  is neuroscience.  'my' husband is a child psychiatrist - research.  Nice thing about fantasy, you can make major career moves in an instant.  I do a lot of rewrites. 

Victoria said:

I have the same problem with 'my'. :) I was interested in your scientist persona, because I have a similar daydreams where I am a psychiatrist. I understand it, however, because I am very into Psychology etc. In my daydreams, i work with criminals and they're all very interesting, though some can be infuriating at times if I'm not carefull and let them get under my skin. It's a delicate job, but I love it and hope to work in the actual field someday, only as a Psychologist. (Hate Chemistry and math, so no Med School for now. No go on the Psychiatrist thing.) Anyway, I was interested in the 'subjects I don't understand part'. My question is, is the scientist another version of you (like how the doctor is an older version of my daydream self) or is she simply another character"? Not all my daydreams center around 'me', so I can understand both situations. Talk to you soon!

Pseudo Life said:

Oh, hmmm. I think I can be greatful for the fact that my daydreams make me want to do things and work toward them. Have you ever finished something on your own? Have you ever daydreams first and then gone after that thing (doesn't have to be longterm, as mine aren't always longterm if they are even about something worth getting).

EludeMyFantasies said:
Actually my daydreaming works in the opposite way. I try something in real life and when it gets hard, frustrating or unattainable I start daydreaming about it and make it happen that way. For example I wanted to write scripts for movies and started working towards that goal. When I hit a snag in my script writing adventure I just started daydreaming about it because it was easier. Then again I can remove script writing and add almost everything I've tried in real life.  Piano, guitar, singing and so on. I've started all these endeavors but always end up daydreaming about doing it.
i feel like the most pathetic loser for admitting this... i am not at all proud for what i am about to say but i guess it could be worse.. either way as much as it pains me to type this, i feel ive gotta admit it sometime... So, your question yes i take my daydreams into my life quite often. I do things like: i might send emails to myself as one of my characters... i mostly just text myself using an app pretending im talking to my imaginary boyfriend... (although  i text all the time with my friends and dont do this often but it still shames me to say it.) i pretend my characters are in my room and just fly me out through the window to a faraway place... i may imagine while in class that they come through the roof and imagine the reactions of all my classmates haha.. i cant really admit the worst part of bringing my fantasy into reality... just know i havent d0ne it in a while but yes i often bring my characters into the real world. oh, one thing i will say is when im riding in the car i will plug in my headphones and stare out the window and imagine myself soaring through the air alongside the car, leaping over cars, balancing on telephone wires. thats probably the start of my MD....
I've accomplished a great deal on my own.  Is it everything I dreamed of as a kid, no.  But my early years were not easy. Perhaps if I had had a great supporting and loving familly, perhaps if I had had more resilience, and not been  'depressed/anxious/driven'.  But I try to remember all the good things I have been able to do - the people, places, the learning, and the compassion.   I had a great career, a loving husband, kids, and the most adorable grandkids in the world.  I am still working at being the change I want to see.  That all people are worthwhile and deserve respect and dignity.  I love music, sunsets, and much more. 

Victoria said:
Oh, hmmm. I think I can be greatful for the fact that my daydreams make me want to do things and work toward them. Have you ever finished something on your own? Have you ever daydreams first and then gone after that thing (doesn't have to be longterm, as mine aren't always longterm if they are even about something worth getting).

EludeMyFantasies said:
Actually my daydreaming works in the opposite way. I try something in real life and when it gets hard, frustrating or unattainable I start daydreaming about it and make it happen that way. For example I wanted to write scripts for movies and started working towards that goal. When I hit a snag in my script writing adventure I just started daydreaming about it because it was easier. Then again I can remove script writing and add almost everything I've tried in real life.  Piano, guitar, singing and so on. I've started all these endeavors but always end up daydreaming about doing it.

Doesn't sound like a loser to me.   We have technology to add more 'color' to our daydreams.  Before computers and the internet, it was not possible to do that.   Now we can in our daydreams buy $3,000 couture dresses and have a photo of of it in our Iphone.   and photos of antique furniture, art collection, and even photos of our colleagues.   It take some time to do all this.  About every two weeks I shop virtually at Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue and Harrods (England).  It is fun. I buy things I could never ever afford.   And I am very generous. I virtually provide funds for educating austistic children and research scientists.   There are a lot worse things one could do with one's time. 

Devin said:

Hey, those actually sound a lot like things I'd do when I was younger (12-ish). I clearly remember imagining I had a twin sister beside me a large amount of the time and imagining she was in the same room as me, when I went to school and camp I sometimes imagined she was there too. More like a traditional child's imaginary friend if you will.

And as a very small child, I also imagined myself riding along beside the car, sometimes on horseback and sometimes performing amazing gymnastic feats like gliding by a clotheshanger along the telephone lines. Yeah...

Other than that I haven't really brought my fantasies into reality. I've tried creative (novel) writing, but there is no way in words to express the intricate subjectivities and feelings that are important to my daydreams. Plus, I could never be motivated enough to put a large amount of time into writing a long story.

lizzy Maslow said:

i feel like the most pathetic loser for admitting this... i am not at all proud for what i am about to say but i guess it could be worse.. either way as much as it pains me to type this, i feel ive gotta admit it sometime... So, your question yes i take my daydreams into my life quite often. I do things like: i might send emails to myself as one of my characters... i mostly just text myself using an app pretending im talking to my imaginary boyfriend... (although  i text all the time with my friends and dont do this often but it still shames me to say it.) i pretend my characters are in my room and just fly me out through the window to a faraway place... i may imagine while in class that they come through the roof and imagine the reactions of all my classmates haha.. i cant really admit the worst part of bringing my fantasy into reality... just know i havent d0ne it in a while but yes i often bring my characters into the real world. oh, one thing i will say is when im riding in the car i will plug in my headphones and stare out the window and imagine myself soaring through the air alongside the car, leaping over cars, balancing on telephone wires. thats probably the start of my MD....
When I was a kid, I assumed it was just a matter of time before my dreams became reality. I'm not sure how I intended to become a flying android queen, but that's being a kid for you. Starting around age 15, I tried to make my dreams a reality in some way. I took karate, joined the track team, started guitar, studied mnemonics (for that super-human memory). I'm a workaholic at the office, but when I'm doing something for me it is just too easy to get frustrated and lapse into daydreaming. I empathized with everything EludeMyFantasies said. Including the screenwriting.

I'm a bit confused about where we are in this discussion.   Seems like different people have different things that work for them - that makes their lives better in different ways.  A lot seems to depend on how old you are and where you are in your life.  If I were under 35,  I would tell myself you make some important decisions during this time, use your daydreaming to make that work for you in a good way.   Daydream about somebody who loves you, who builds your confidence, maybe a bit higher aspirations than you think you deserve.  If possible, don't daydream  to settle into something second best.  If the daydreaming is part of the bigger mental health problem, get help.  Don't wait till your 50! 

Maybe your daydreaming about movie writing, etc., is fine - making the connection to what is it about movie writing that makes you happy - what could you transfer to something else.  Just my thoughts, thoroughly not proven.

The workaholic in the office part I identify with - sort driven but  perhaps not thought out in terms of priorities. (that's me not you).  It some ways that work has a daydreamy tinge. It can create the same  addictive feelings.

Christina said:
When I was a kid, I assumed it was just a matter of time before my dreams became reality. I'm not sure how I intended to become a flying android queen, but that's being a kid for you. Starting around age 15, I tried to make my dreams a reality in some way. I took karate, joined the track team, started guitar, studied mnemonics (for that super-human memory). I'm a workaholic at the office, but when I'm doing something for me it is just too easy to get frustrated and lapse into daydreaming. I empathized with everything EludeMyFantasies said. Including the screenwriting.

Well, that's kinda the definition of Art, isn't it? I think what makes those with MD different from typical artists is looking too far ahead. Imagine having the idea for Julieland, but having absolutely no way to go about it.  You'd just leave it in your mental reality and let it stay a daydream. Every little step you take towards it helps though. Makes it actually happen, and it helps you build confidence. You can't physically start building Julieland. But you can draw some sketches. Even if they aren't good at all, you'll get better the more you sculpt it out on paper.  Or, you can start small. Leave a few sculptures and chalk drawings out in the open ~ you've started shaping the outside reality to yours. What else do you daydream about?

No, I don't think it's weird at all. I'm MD too. And I can't go to sleep without "talking" to my own characters.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Valeria Franco.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

G-S8WJHKYMQH Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky