Has anyone here ever fallen in love with a fictional character, either one you made up or from existing media?

This is something that happens every now and again, and for 3-5 days, I am stricken with heartache. It completely overtakes me, and I have to indulge in media related to it for those 3-5 days. Sometimes, certain themes from the game/book/movie/whatever amplify it or may be the source of it, such as themes involving escapism or magic or adventure or friendship, which I think might be rooted in some kind of depression or loneliness or whatever. I say this because I notice feelings of what are like homesickness or nostalgia or a feeling of longing, especially when I think about their backstories or the world they inhabit. So sometimes that causes it. God forbid the media is obscure or lacking in content...

I have one solace. I know that eventually it will pass, and I will stop obsessing over the character. I call these 'episodes' personally, and they are the worst part of my MDD. For some characters, I've never had those feelings again and most likely never will again, whereas with other characters, I go in and out and they will likely stick with me forever.

I write this now because I've been in an episode lately, and I think I'm starting to come out of it. But man, it's awful, and it seems it will take one or two more days of heartache. It's even worse 'cause I had an episode like a week before it. That time, it wasn't really falling in love. I think I just really empathized with the depressing world they lived in, and also because it had many themes that I'm really soft towards.

Does anyone got advice for this, as well?

Views: 711

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh my holy fuck; dude you're not the only one don't worry! I've fallen in love with my daydream lover for about 4 years now and I can't even begin to explain how much it kills on the inside to know I'll never touch him, that I'll never hear his voice without imagining it myself. There's nothing more that I want to do than see the door open and see him there, that he's real, and throw my arms around him. I've had feelings for other real boys apart from him, and usually the feelings for them can suppress my feelings for him, but as soon as the relationship breaks down - well it's only him that I have left and I miss him even more as a result. I don't know what else I can possibly do.

It´s happening to me right now, I´m obsessed with my fictional lover, I feel I´m really in love with him, I can´t stop daydreaming about him all day long and listening to his music (well, he´s based in a male singer that exists in real life). And it´s not the first time in my life that this happens to me, but a lot of times, with other fictional male characters.

At least, it´s a great comfort that I´m not the only one going through this.

(Sorry if I make a mistake writing, but English isn´t my native language).

Today I daydreamed about fighting with my fictional lover and ending the relationship in an attemp to get rid of my obsession. At the end, what I´ve got was me crying as an idiot because of that separation and feeling completely pathetic and ridiculous about that.

I had to lock inside the bathroom to avoid my family watching me cry with no apparent reason.

At the end, I didn´t know if I was crying for the end of my fictional relationship or because I feel a pathetic piece of shit. Of course, the obsession didn´t end.

I think I´ve reached the deepest abyss.

I've absolutely fallen in love with a daydream character; more than one actually. The majority of the time it brings me happiness & I feel connected to someone. At times it can become emotionally difficult for me, knowing that the man I love only exists in my mind. He will never hold or kiss me or tell me he loved me & that is too sobering a thought. Some of my characters have been with me for many years & I've grown quite attached. There was a time where I found myself stagnant in my daydream & wanted to make change. I decided that change would be that my long term daydream S.O. dies of a heart attack. As I played out the story in my head, I was sobbing hysterically; it shook me to my core! I remember going to bed that night feeling this deep sense of sadness & loss that lasted for two days after. It all proved too much so I altered the story & then I was fine.

That´s a method I tried. I´ve imagined my daydream lover dying, I´ve tried to convert him in someone evil and violent in order to start hating him and killing him, I daydreamed about breaking... But nothing works to stop the obsession, instead of tha, I do the same as you, I recreate the story and create a happy ending.

OhMyMagenta said:

I've absolutely fallen in love with a daydream character; more than one actually. The majority of the time it brings me happiness & I feel connected to someone. At times it can become emotionally difficult for me, knowing that the man I love only exists in my mind. He will never hold or kiss me or tell me he loved me & that is too sobering a thought. Some of my characters have been with me for many years & I've grown quite attached. There was a time where I found myself stagnant in my daydream & wanted to make change. I decided that change would be that my long term daydream S.O. dies of a heart attack. As I played out the story in my head, I was sobbing hysterically; it shook me to my core! I remember going to bed that night feeling this deep sense of sadness & loss that lasted for two days after. It all proved too much so I altered the story & then I was fine.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Valeria Franco.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

G-S8WJHKYMQH Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky