When I was between the ages of 11 and 12, I took a wrong turn in my daydreaming and started to tell my friends about the characters, but leading my friends to believe they (and the daydreams) were real. I started to have feelings for one of the friends, and he felt the same for me. I felt guilty about lying so I told him the truth. He forgave me and we became first loves.

However, years later, we've remained friends after we broke up but even to this day (we're 21 now) whenever we get into an argument about anything at all, he throws in my face that I had imaginary friends. Even though when I found out enough about maladaptive daydreaming, I told him all I knew and explained to him that I experience it, he doesn't seem to grasp it and just believes I had imaginary friends.

He did it again recently, and, needless to say, I cut him off. 

But it isn't just that. I told other close people about MD and they kind of laugh it off, don't take it seriously. I think if I ever fall in love again, I will be reluctant to tell the guy. I know it sounds like a big joke, but it's a real thing and I wish people would be a little more sensitive sometimes. 

Views: 206

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was in my early twenties. I didn't have a lot of money. I had my own share of problems. But, I wanted to do what I could to help other people.

I wasn't a celebrity. I wasn't rich. And at the time, I wasn't a politician. I volunteered to help at the nearby soup kitchen. It is just as simple as that. I drove my beat-up 1972 pickup to the soup kitchen. The homeless guys were gathered outside. My manner of walk indicated to them that there was something wrong with me. They jeered and mimicked my walk. Lots of people have. I went on with checking in and doing my part to prepare and serve the meal. I overheard one of the older guys joke to the fellow who ran the kitchen, 

"The retard didn't make this food, did he?"

I will never forget that. I still think about that sometimes. It doesn't make me sad. It doesn't hurt my feelings. It is just odd. People are odd. Not just homeless people. All people.

The homeless guys still gather outside the soup kitchen just like they did more than twenty years ago. I have a nicer vehicle now. I was a politician for a while. Occasionally, some mean-spirited fellow makes a comment about me. Something like-

"Did you have a good day at the pie factory?" (I think that means that he thinks I have an easy job.)

"I wish my dad had been rich."

I'm not mentally challenged. I've never worked in a pie factory. My dad was not rich and when he died, I did not inherit anything from him. *shrugs*

I have been insulted a lot in my life. You don't always have to tell people secrets or say anything at all for people to make ignorant assumptions and insult you.

Wow, I can't believe some people. I guess it makes them feel better about their lives. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

Thanks, Swan.

That is kind of you to say. But, it is not something I dealt with in the past and no longer occurs. I could tell you lots of times that people have been insulting to me. Family members who were abusive and on and on.

There are also folks who have been kind to me. Lots of people who love me. I have received accolades, standing ovations, thousands of votes, and there is at least one building dedicated to me. 

It doesn't matter what is different about a person or what situation they are in. People will attack a person who is different. And the more a person accomplishes, the more people will despise and envy them and try to bring them down.

Regarding: "I wish people would be a little more sensitive sometimes."

People tell me that I should be more sensitive sometimes. I don't care what people say. I will be sensitive when I choose to and blunt/abrasive when I choose to.

Everybody is misunderstood and I don't think I have ever met anyone who has not been treated unfairly.

SwanInTheWater said:

Wow, I can't believe some people. I guess it makes them feel better about their lives. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

That is true. Such is life, I suppose.

I'm sorry to hear about what you have had to go through with your friend.  People can be very unkind but try not to worry too much about it, you will find better friends.  I would advice you to be very weary of who you tell about your MD as not many people really understand what it is and their reactions could range from anything to being sympathetic to shunning you and telling others who will in turn avoid you. 

I told my dad and he told me to stop making up stupid b*^ls$#t and walked off, I told my boyfriend and he said I must have an amazing imagination. Best to say, my dad will never get to listen to my stories that I literally put 7 years of effort and thinking into :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Valeria Franco.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

G-S8WJHKYMQH Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky