I cant stop daydreaming and I actually dont want to because it is when I am happiest. But at the back of my head I am always worried that I may be putting myself at risk of developing a mental disorder. Are we putting ourselves in danger of developing psychosis? Is this how psychosis starts for some people? they think they are fine because they know the difference between their phantasys and reality but over time that line begins to blur?

Anyone know anything about that?

Views: 230

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's a fear many of us probably have, but I'm sure it's not possible.  This condition and psychoses are completely different.   One condition doesn't just turn into another.  It's always good to keep a strong foot in the outer world, so try to maintain that as much as you can.  This condition has its own negative side effects when it gets out of hand, and I'd focus on that.  

It seems many people worry about MD leading to Schizophrenia/psychsis. But I read in a book, "Daydreaming" by Eric Klinger, that there is no relation between the two. It said even those who daydream excessivly do not have a higher chance of developing it. It said that people with Schizophrenia seldomly daydream.

No, I don't think so. I've daydreamed excessively for over 40 yrs. and I still know the difference between reality and fantasy. Who knows, I may go off the deep end one day but I don't believe it'll be because of the daydreaming.

I developed psychosis when I was 11/12 and I feel that my daydreaming was related but I don't feel it is the direct result.I think I was going to end up with psychosis regardless. I wouldn't worry yourself over it. It seems highly unlikely it could cause you to develop a psychotic illness or have a psychotic episode.

It took me about 6 months to get up the nerve to admit my DD's to my therapist. (It was hard just to get the words out of my mouth.) She seemed pretty closed mouth herself. I get the feeling she knew somewhat about MD, but since there's been no large scale study, she didn't want to commit to a treatment or give me any false statements about a disorder that has not been formally regconized yet. (I wish she would have at least told me there were studies being done or what it was called or that there were others like me, but overall she was a wellstudied woman who cared about the work she did and seeing her really helped me with other things).

But one thing she did know about was psychosis. I told her about my concerns, the exact same ones you have, and she was resolute that DD's could not develop into psychosis. She assured me that psychosis didn't work that way and explained why. It did make me feel beter.

I don't think it would lead to psychosis...I'm 46 and have had it ever since I can remember...however, with alzheimers strong in my family (both sides), I wonder if I ever get that, if my real world would disappear faster than my DD world.

thankyou everyone, its so reasuring reading all your feedback

RSS

© 2024   Created by Valeria Franco.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

G-S8WJHKYMQH Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky