Ok I have noticed a recurring theme in my MD. It seems to revolve hugely around power. I have found myself checking up on people who have hurt me/humiliated me be it people I used to know from school or past ex's. When I see them all happy with their lives I instantly feel the urge to play some music that stirs some really powerful angry emotions inside of me. Suddenly I become people I associate with being powerful and feared. I feel stronger and my anger suddenly feels like it has a place to reside. 

When I snap too though I feel powerless again and inferior. For a brief few minutes or so though I feel like I have edge, like my existence equates to a lot more. It is almost....strangely addictive....

Its like the anger/regret I'm still holding on to fuels some powerful, addictive daydreams.

Anyone else get that or is it just me?

Views: 435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ohh my god I do this too. For people that have hurt me, I play in my mind while music is playing that I rise above them and prove them wrong on everything. I become my idealized self. But sometimes fictional characters can influence this side in me too. Like for example if I feel sorry for someone in a show, i play them rising above the oppressor and become powerful and better. 

This is not my only daydream, but yes, if I get treated badly or someone I care about does, it does temporarily influence what I DD about.  I 'set things right' in the DD, though sadly rarely in real life.  Makes me feel a bit better about the situation though.

Mine does as well!!

Absolutely!

I think this is a very natural response.

Many of my daydreams are variations on the theme of power, superiority and authority.

I often put myself in a DD where there is some sort of hierarchy and I am further up in an advantaged position, where it's less likely that I will be hurt and humiliated.

And I also find that very addictive. It makes you feel better, it makes you feel protected.

99% I imagine myself in scenario's fighting off my enemies, getting revenge on those who have hurt me or anything related to combat/confrontation. I think it's because I've been a victim for such a long time, I've resorted to taking out my anger in my fantasies because I was too scared to handle the situation in the real world. Maladaptive Daydreaming is a defence mechanism I believe, a way to release all the havoc in your mind.

I was bullied REALLY badly in middle school. I literally tried to give myself the flu on purpose once so I could miss school (I knew my mom wouldn't be fooled if I pretended to be sick and I didn't want to have to face the bullies). I was daydreaming maladaptively before then, but it was at that point when my daydreams started being really violent. A recurring theme in my daydreams besides violence was being discriminated against somehow and overcoming it (I felt like I was being discriminated against for being "the weird kid" and wanted to overcome it, although I didn't realize this was the reason behind my daydream content at the time). My daydreams content is still very violent, but now I only have 1 daydream. In my daydream, I'm extremely powerful. I have superpowers. I'm the queen of a huge empire of 7 planets. The empire is one of the greatest military superpowers in the universe. We've had quite a few wars (with lots of graphic scenes of blood and gore), and so far we've won all of them. I also kill a lot of monsters that are supposed to be impossible for 1 person to kill.

Omg ya my whole imagination sometimes revolves around power.It's so strange

Yup, creating a fantasy world is obviously all about having control about everything/everyone. So using it in a way to get the control you lack in real life is probably how most people do it.  I did it as well; invisible day in real life, awesome day in my dreams.

I am the same way. A lot of people are lucky I dont really have the power that I have in my revenge fantasies.

Kade Scoular said:

99% I imagine myself in scenario's fighting off my enemies, getting revenge on those who have hurt me or anything related to combat/confrontation. I think it's because I've been a victim for such a long time, I've resorted to taking out my anger in my fantasies because I was too scared to handle the situation in the real world. Maladaptive Daydreaming is a defence mechanism I believe, a way to release all the havoc in your mind.

It is probably better to try and just forgive people who have harmed us. Or just focus on making ourselves happy in more constructive ways, such as getting involved with good people who wont hurt us.

Does anyone do the reverse, where you bottle up all the negative emotions from the day, and then really let yourself have it during your DD? I don't know why, but my DD's are less often about power and more about telling myself I'm a terrible human being (which is something I don't rationally believe). Is anyone else familiar with this? 

Sometimes power is a big theme, but it's less about me using power than about people using power against me. Which now that I think about it is really lame.

So what does that say about us ( those who have power fantasies) ? Could it be low self esteem or maybe acute social phobia or maybe some trauma in the past? Like I have a great family but when I was younger they pressured me a lot to be a certain way and I've always been this shy girl and still am.I dunno...

RSS

© 2024   Created by Valeria Franco.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

G-S8WJHKYMQH Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky