Wild Minds Network

Where wild minds come to rest

what methods have you tried to apply to get yourself to stop dreaming

I've read in this forum of people trying to stay away from things that trigger them to go into a fantasy world like music, some stopped eating certain food

Views: 584

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think I will be able to stop dreaming ... I'm not ready to face the "real world" yet.  On revolution health following Cordelia's post was an anonymous post about a book called "Willpower's not enough: Recovering from Addictions of Every Kind"  The poster described the book and I was in tears as the description of addiction fitted my view of daydreaming acutely.  I hadn't viewed my daydreaming as an addiciton but I realise it is.

Avoiding listening to music and not watching dramatic TV shows does help reduce the DD (haven't gone into a massive DD yet today) but I don't think I'm going to stop DD till 1) I get treatment for my addiction (and I just don't want to do that) or 2) I can morph the real world into an engaging landscape of perpetual entertainment, which isn't exactly going to happen.

My plan is to try and make my real as engaging and happy as possible and maybe then I'll feel brave enough to face my addiction.  I am gradually getting more friends which is helping a great deal (though I'm fussy, neurotic and a lot of people irritate me after long periods).  I always thought I would stop daydreaming once I get married, but since many here or on revolution health are/were married I know that's won't be the magical cure.

I read a great idea: write down your daydreams.  It's scary to do so, but maybe getting them out of your head and onto paper will "kill" them, or maybe you'll become a novelist...either way, you're not burdened by them.

P.S. I don't have the courage to try this.

Katherine,

Isn't it sad that we have to stop listening to music and watching TV to stop our daydreaming? You're totally right though. I've had stop watching my favourite programmes... and I really love those programmes... because I incorporate them into daydreams. Also, I've had to stop listening to some brilliant songs as I just listen to the same ones over and over as they fit the mood of my characters. It's sort of working, a bit.

How sad though that we have to stop indulging in the things we like, to kill daydreaming, which we also like. But it's necessary, I think.

I used to like to think of my daydreams as a potential novel, screenplay, etc. I wrote a few of the more rehearsed scenes down a few years back.Since my daydreams are usually pretty silly (very detailed but fairly one-dimensional characters and a tendency towards wish-fulfilment type stories lines, ie not much conflict, just a string of cool things happening) they didn't make particularly great pieces of writing.

Rediscovered some pages a couple of weeks ago when I was tidying the flat. Scary having your dreams in a more concrete form since someone could find them and read them. Couldn't bring myself to destroy them or throw them out though. Reading them again now, it was interesting to see ways the characters had changed, or to remember where a current storyline had come from.

Writing my daydreams down didn't kill them, but it did help to move things on in the storylines. When I was writing the scenes down, I'd realise that some things were a bit too straightforward and easy and think "well, if I read that in a novel, I'd think it was really cheesy and dumb". That would result in me going back to the daydream and having something different happen, which helped to reinvigorate scenes I'd become bored with. (Not sure whether that's a good thing, if you're trying to quit!)

sarah stone said:

I read a great idea: write down your daydreams.  It's scary to do so, but maybe getting them out of your head and onto paper will "kill" them, or maybe you'll become a novelist...either way, you're not burdened by them.

That's really interesting - thanks for sharing.

Sarah said:

I used to like to think of my daydreams as a potential novel, screenplay, etc. I wrote a few of the more rehearsed scenes down a few years back.Since my daydreams are usually pretty silly (very detailed but fairly one-dimensional characters and a tendency towards wish-fulfilment type stories lines, ie not much conflict, just a string of cool things happening) they didn't make particularly great pieces of writing.

Rediscovered some pages a couple of weeks ago when I was tidying the flat. Scary having your dreams in a more concrete form since someone could find them and read them. Couldn't bring myself to destroy them or throw them out though. Reading them again now, it was interesting to see ways the characters had changed, or to remember where a current storyline had come from.

Writing my daydreams down didn't kill them, but it did help to move things on in the storylines. When I was writing the scenes down, I'd realise that some things were a bit too straightforward and easy and think "well, if I read that in a novel, I'd think it was really cheesy and dumb". That would result in me going back to the daydream and having something different happen, which helped to reinvigorate scenes I'd become bored with. (Not sure whether that's a good thing, if you're trying to quit!)

sarah stone said:

is schizoid the same as schizotypal?

Cordellia Amethyste Rose said:

Again, I can't say for sure whether any of you have Schizoid Personality Disorder, Inattentive ADD, Autism Spectrum Disorders, or any of the others that show a lack of social involvement & tendency to daydream..........but I can tell you that I for sure don't. There are countless disorders that can have disconnection and daydreaming as a possible symptom. I wouldn't have spent the past 3 years investigating this if I thought this was any of them. If I'd have found something that fit I would've quit looking & said "Hellelujah!" I've looked into them all, and once I really learned about them I found out they don't fit. They just have some overlapping symptoms. Plus all my doctors ruled them out one by one. There's something deeper going on here. I wouldn't have dedicated all this time on it if there weren't.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Cordellia Amethyste Rose.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky