Wild Minds Network

Where wild minds come to rest

Do your friends or family know about your daydreaming? What are their feelings/reactions to it?

This is the only place where I can talk about my daydreaming. I've never told anyone and I'd be mortified if my family found out.

Views: 12053

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know if anyone knows how deep it can go. I'm familiar with the condition because I have it, for instance, but I still have no idea what you go through. It could be hard to explain it to me, even, as I might have a hard time explaining it to you. 

I've never told anyone about myself, but I have had conversations in the abstract, where I try to describe the sort of thing a person might have if they had a condition or an ability like maladaptive daydreaming. I describe it like having hallucinations that you know aren't real and which you can control. 

Joelle Epperson said:

My boyfriend and a good friend at work know. But they don't know how intense it can be. It feels so good to start talking to people about this. I just wish they could completely understand the depth of this. I have not been looked down on due to this, yet.

I am very glad I found this site though. I know lots of people feel like they are the only one dealing with certain things. But when it came to this. I honestly felt like that. Glad to know I'm not.

That is a good way of explaining it. And I really don't mind letting myself do it either. The thing that make its difficult for me , is when I get interrupted (at work, boyfriend is talking.. etc). I get anxious and angry until I can finish the scenario in my mind.

That turns into me snapping on people and I can't explain it to them. Then I feel bad.

That's not a big problem for me, because I always do it in private and at night, when I won't likely be interrupted. But when I am interrupted it is frustrating. 
Joelle Epperson said:

That is a good way of explaining it. And I really don't mind letting myself do it either. The thing that make its difficult for me , is when I get interrupted (at work, boyfriend is talking.. etc). I get anxious and angry until I can finish the scenario in my mind.

That turns into me snapping on people and I can't explain it to them. Then I feel bad.
I definitely try to do it in private or at night but sometimes my brain takes off without my permission. But it is nice to have the friend at work to pull me out of a day dream before anyone else notices.

I didn't tell anyone for a long time, simply because I didn't know that it was a notable thing. I knew that I daydreamed way more often than other people but I didn't think all that much of it it was just a normal part of my life. I didn't talk about daydreams any more than I talked about sleeping dreams, I figured no one would want to hear about it.

As soon as I found out about MD I told basically everyone in my social circle about it. I wanted to weigh my experiences with daydreaming against mine because it honestly blew my mind how different my daydreaming habits were from the norm.  I don't really share much of my personal life with my family, so I don't talk to them about it but all my friends know. I used to share my daydreams with my ex all the time, but I don't really share content with anyone else.

I do find it relieving to tell people after I get over the initial fear of judgement.

I have never told anyone, but I'm planning to tell my therapist tomorrow. I'm very nervous! I'll update you on how it goes.

I've only told some internet friends of mine about the extent of my daydreaming. I don't think I've ever told anyone about it IRL. Most people seem to think daydreaming is something you do as a kid and then more or less grow out of. I think people would be judgmental if they knew how much I daydream. I think there would probably be too many questions about the content of my daydreams anyway, or people lecturing me about stopping it and living in the moment, or trying to police me if they think I'm daydreaming. I'd rather just keep it to myself or discuss it with others who can relate.

I did eventually tell my mom because I was talking about how difficult my depression was for so many years and how the only way I made it though was through this kind of intense daydreaming. I described it as elaborate fantasies/dreams that I can spend hours wrapped up in. I called it "going into my head." Like, when things get tough, I just go into my head. 

I never gave many details about it until one day I saw someone online describe something they called Maladaptive Daydreaming, so I looked it up and found the Wiki on it. 

I was so excited to see that what I had been doing had a name, that I immediately told my mom, "You know that thing I do, where I go into my head? It actually has a name!"

I'm really close to my mom though, so it wasn't too difficult for me to tell her. 

I promised an update, but I didn't tell my therapist.

General Foolishness said:

I have never told anyone, but I'm planning to tell my therapist tomorrow. I'm very nervous! I'll update you on how it goes.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Cordellia Amethyste Rose.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky