Wild Minds Network

Where wild minds come to rest

Do your friends or family know about your daydreaming? What are their feelings/reactions to it?

This is the only place where I can talk about my daydreaming. I've never told anyone and I'd be mortified if my family found out.

Views: 12049

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My parents would walk in on me doing it, they knew about it but never talked to me about it. Sometimes when they got frustrated they would use it against me. I'm too ashamed to talk to my whole family about it, my mum knows most. If someone asks me about it, I won't lie but I prefer to keep it to myself. Some people have said OCD ect but I have no ide.
Well, of course, everyone on this website knows about my daydreaming.
And I recently decided to start a blog about my daydreaming (But I'm not even fully sure if I have MD yet!)

I told my mom the other day. She thinks that it's completely normal that I think about my stories a lot, because I'm an only child (I'm only 13.).

I also told my best friend, but she just said "Oh. That's... interesting?". She didn't seem to care too much, so I just let it go.

I told my mom that I think I have MD today. She thinks that I'm completely normal and that I'm looking too much into this.

I asked on Yahoo Answers if anyone else has this, and one lady told me that she used to daydream like me when she was younger, and she eventually wrote down all her daydreams and turned them into a book, and now she's an author.

For now, I don't think that I have MD because my stories haven't taken over my life, and I don't have all of the symptoms. If anything, I think I probably have a less serious form of it. But I still daydream a LOT.
I never told friends or family members, but I did eventually end up telling a clinical therapist, and then a psychiatrist, in an attempt to get treatment. But, like I'm guessing some of you have experienced, they told me they'd never heard of anything like what I described. They also did not believe it could be an addiction, and they just didn't understand how I could feel it was my main problem.

Unfortunately, their reaction confirmed my worst fear, which was that I was completely alone and no one else had this freaky problem or could understand it. I remember being deeply unhappy & disappointed that after FINALLY getting the courage to try & get treatment, there was no treatment available. So of course I resolved to keep it completely secret again. Until I finally found this group & info about MD!
I haven't told anyone about this. I have a feeling that my mum will just dismiss it or think I'm saying I have it for the sake of it.
Earlier today, me and my mum were talking and she said that she thinks I suffer from depression. This was because I said that I could happily spend my life not seeing another person. This is because, in general, I just don't like people. My mum doesn't realise that although I may have depressive tendencies, my main problem is my daydreaming. A few hours ago, i decided it was time to look into it and i just found out that it is actually a disorder. Until there is more information on it, and it is more widely known, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable telling people about this.
Hi, Jasmine. It's true that the effects of MD very closely resemble depression and a WHOLE LOT of other disorders. I, too, feel that this is an underlying issue in itself, at least for me & for many people. However since it's not a recognized disorder & almost no one knows about it then it's natural for people to match it to the next closest thing they've heard of. We're working on collecting as much info as we can & getting the word out. Every new person who adds their experience is helping a lot & will give us more credibility. Let me know if you have any questions. It takes me awhile to get things done, with my daydreaming and homework, but I'll respond as fast as I can.

Jasmine O'Brien said:
I haven't told anyone about this. I have a feeling that my mum will just dismiss it or think I'm saying I have it for the sake of it.
Earlier today, me and my mum were talking and she said that she thinks I suffer from depression. This was because I said that I could happily spend my life not seeing another person. This is because, in general, I just don't like people. My mum doesn't realise that although I may have depressive tendencies, my main problem is my daydreaming. A few hours ago, i decided it was time to look into it and i just found out that it is actually a disorder. Until there is more information on it, and it is more widely known, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable telling people about this.
BTW, I do tell people now. It's not easy, but I say it every time it comes up. Whenever I have a problem that's even remotely related, the conversation starts with "I have a daydreaming disorder, and........." Of course I talk so fast that no one can understand me let alone process what I'm saying...........but I'm making myself say it now. Even things that no one else seems to be experiencing but I just KNOW is related, like being dizzy. I've been going through a heavy daydreaming period lately and have been feeling horribly dizzy all the time, so if it comes up........ "I have a daydreaming disorder, and it makes me really dizzy." I don't care if others don't seem to have this symptom. I know it's related. MY version of this comes with a strong physical component.
It's not easy, but I have to force myself to be honest and unashamed about myself. Then again it's probably easier because I really have no one that I interact with on a strong inter-personal basis..........no one invested in me enough to judge or tell me I'm wrong. Then again I've been arguing with doctors for so many years about this (most of them dismissing this almost entirely) that I'm fairly sure I could stand up for myself if anyone told me I was wrong. I mean not to be rude, but WTF do they know? Doctors don't even know about this. I'm certainly not going to listen to your average person who hasn't even picked up a psychology book in their life. Anyway, it goes to show that it doesn't matter what others think. When you know something's true, you have to stand up for it. The truth, especially MY truth, isn't decided by people, it's discovered by people.
I actually have a BS in psychology, and studied social psychology in graduate school. Social psych is not clinical psych/therapy, it's quite different. But even so, in grad school I had access to all the resources, all the research. The psychological world is completely unaware of us, probably largely because all of us have been too ashamed to ever breathe a word of this to anyone. It's so good that finally a couple researchers are looking into this, and that they are getting participants in their research. It's the only way treatment will ever be developed. The more we all get the courage to start talking, the more help people with MD will be able to get in the future.

And I totally admit to not having the guts to open up about my MD myself, but you better believe I filled out Dr. Schupak's survey as soon as I learned about it. The more participants they get, the more their claims will be respected. I worked in research psychology, and I know, having the numbers to back up your results is KEY. So if there are any of you out there on this forum who haven't filled out the MD survey, I strongly encourage you to do so. Your answers are kept anonymous, and it's the first step toward a treatment.
NO. You guys are the only ones who know I do it.
I tried to tell my parents but they just made excuses and tried to make it out so it's just "normal". So I figure that if they react that way it's not worth explaining to anyone else I know.
My best friend, Maddison, knows. I mean, the phrase "best friend" just doesn't even hardly sum it up - we've got this lovely, balanced relationship where we both know when the other one's asking for help or advice, and when they're just saying something that needs to be said. We've both had some fairly rotten times in our lives, often side by side, so knowing that she's already not judged me for bouts of depression or fairly awful decisions I might have made makes it much, much easier to tell her about this. I know she doesn't daydream like I do, but that's sort of alright, she's very accepting of the fact that sometimes I'll say things out loud that aren't related to the conversation we're having irl, or that I'll sometimes be doing some weird repetitive action while I'm walking along or whatever.

D'aaw. I wuv Maddy xD

As for everyone else, I tend to make it a bit of joke; I'll say something like, "well, you know, when I was imagining flying Serenity last night, I realised..." or something, and people will laugh and think I'm a bit strange but in a positive way. I'm very wary of saying "I have such-and-such a disorder" because I'm convinced that people will think I'm being a bit of a dick and just saying it for.... Ok, I have no idea what I think they'll think I'm saying it for. But for something rotten, I'm sure.
I have never told anyone about this. I tried telling my psychiatrist about it but he just summed it all up into Avoidance. And I'm kind of happy he did that.

I'm really quite terrified of someone telling me to stop daydreaming. Someone telling me it's wrong and that I should never do it again. So I just don't tell anyone.
My mother knows, and my former psychologist knows. My mother kind of freaked out at first until I explained what it was like to her then she seemed to understand. She's been very supportive of me. When I want to have what I call my "fantasy time" which is me spacing out, fantasizing, and listening to music, she leaves me alone.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Cordellia Amethyste Rose.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky