Wild Minds Network

Where wild minds come to rest

Do your friends or family know about your daydreaming? What are their feelings/reactions to it?

This is the only place where I can talk about my daydreaming. I've never told anyone and I'd be mortified if my family found out.

Views: 13859

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've told my boyfriend and he's been very supportive. After that I felt it much easier to open up about it, and sort of mentioned it to my sister and to a friend, as in 'fantasising about an imaginary boyfriend', but haven't quite told them to what extent I fantasise.

I'm really worried to tell my mum. We're really close- like she knows so much about me that i would;t usually tell her but i've been depressed and anxious and she's always been my wall, so we've got a very strong bond. She knows i'm in my head a lot, i've always daydreamed, but she has no clue about MD and i didn't either till a few weeks ago. I was so eager to have my membership approved cos i just wanted to talk about it and get reassurance. I'm scared at the moment, i was going to tell my therapist but unsure how she will react as it's not really heard of. I want to tell my mum but i've put so much baggage on her i'm not sure if i should just leave this to myself as it's only me that can really help myself. My mum can't switch my brain off to stop MDing. but MD is the source of all my problems, why i'm so insecure because i don't compare to my idealised MD self. I hold myself back because i prefer to dream about the happiness instead of failing at it. I'm scared, like really scared. I don;t want to be like this forever because i want to match my daydreams and become successful, but i think i'm scared of losing the comfort. It's all i know these days. Anyone help? please?

I think its great that you and your mother are close like that. I understand how that would make it hard. I notice you mentioned having a therapist. That is something I wish that I could find. Do you think your therapist would be able to suggest a way to talk about it or bring it up to her in a way that makes you more comfortable ?  Either way, you are not alone, don't ever forget that !! 

I have only told my mother and my best friend. My friend acted like it was nothing and my mother was(sorry mom!)not very helpful.Now i have decided to not tell any other of my close family and friends. im more comfortable telling strangers then my family.If i could find a therapist i would be more then happy to talk to them instead of my family.

Yea, I'm starting to see how vital of a resource having a therapist would be. I keep telling myself I'm going to find one, but its not really the easiest thing to do. And yea, I feel the same way you do, I really don't feel comfortable telling family. I can't help but feel as if they either think its something else, or maybe I'm exagerating, etc.  Honestly, only on this site have I been able to mention anything about it and not feel like I'm wasting my time.  My mom wasn't very helpful either, lol ..  Like you said, sorry mom, lol.  It is nice to talk with you on here. Maybe in some way just talking about it could help us both.  It really is nice to know I'm not just the only person with these issues.  

My family and close friends have always known. It's hard for me to hide because I listen to music and spin in circles for hours doing it, I've done it since I was two.  I thought everyone did it until I started elementary school and when I talked about it in class, the other kids thought I was weird. In middle school, people thought I was lying about it so by the time I got to highschool I had started hiding it from people.  My SO that I've been with for eleven years didn't find out until about 2 years into the relationship. 

People don't realize I do it even when I'm not spinning, that's something I've kept to myself but the people closest to me in life have always known about the spinning and that I do in fact spend a significant part of my life living in a different world.  I don't like actually talking about it with them though, they act like it's a super power and I feel like they're mocking me.

I have been searching online for any information to suggest other people are doing this for a very long time and I find it very comforting that in the last few years, I've started seeing evidence that I'm not alone.

I've never said anything about it to anyone-- ever!

My immediate family knows, because I've been doing it ever since I can remember. I only started hiding it in adolescence. They don't know that I still do it. 

I don't think they ever knew what it was really about. They still tease me about it occasionally, chalking it up to a childish pastime. Like having an imaginary friend, which incidentally I did. But that wasn't part of my daydreaming. That was just telling stories.

No one knows how big a part of my life it's been, and I don't plan on ever telling anyone.

My boyfriend and a good friend at work know. But they don't know how intense it can be. It feels so good to start talking to people about this. I just wish they could completely understand the depth of this. I have not been looked down on due to this, yet.

I am very glad I found this site though. I know lots of people feel like they are the only one dealing with certain things. But when it came to this. I honestly felt like that. Glad to know I'm not.

I don't know if anyone knows how deep it can go. I'm familiar with the condition because I have it, for instance, but I still have no idea what you go through. It could be hard to explain it to me, even, as I might have a hard time explaining it to you. 

I've never told anyone about myself, but I have had conversations in the abstract, where I try to describe the sort of thing a person might have if they had a condition or an ability like maladaptive daydreaming. I describe it like having hallucinations that you know aren't real and which you can control. 

Joelle Epperson said:

My boyfriend and a good friend at work know. But they don't know how intense it can be. It feels so good to start talking to people about this. I just wish they could completely understand the depth of this. I have not been looked down on due to this, yet.

I am very glad I found this site though. I know lots of people feel like they are the only one dealing with certain things. But when it came to this. I honestly felt like that. Glad to know I'm not.

That is a good way of explaining it. And I really don't mind letting myself do it either. The thing that make its difficult for me , is when I get interrupted (at work, boyfriend is talking.. etc). I get anxious and angry until I can finish the scenario in my mind.

That turns into me snapping on people and I can't explain it to them. Then I feel bad.

That's not a big problem for me, because I always do it in private and at night, when I won't likely be interrupted. But when I am interrupted it is frustrating. 
Joelle Epperson said:

That is a good way of explaining it. And I really don't mind letting myself do it either. The thing that make its difficult for me , is when I get interrupted (at work, boyfriend is talking.. etc). I get anxious and angry until I can finish the scenario in my mind.

That turns into me snapping on people and I can't explain it to them. Then I feel bad.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Cordellia Amethyste Rose.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Real Time Web Analytics

Clicky